cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email on Mac: problem sending

kantseeit

I have set up Mac Mail for Microsoft Office 365 and it was working fine for some months.  

For the past few days I cannot send.  The server list shows 'smtp.outlook.com(offline)'.  

Does anyone know what 'offline' means in this context?  My other email addresses work fine, and I can send my bt email via googlemail (but the recipient then sees the sender as from gmail not bt mail).

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

equs

It is now 18th June 2013.  I have spent over 4 unproductive hours with numerous calls to BT since May to solve the problem of not being able to send e mails since signing up for BT Vision & getting new hub.  I see from forum that the mac mail compatability seems to be an issue.  Im off to the nearest Apple genius bar as BT do not seem to be able to resolve and have been unaware of any similar problems to mine.  Perhaps they should read their own forum.  Anybody got this problem sorted.  Please help as business suffering never mind mental state.  Thanks

Tel

I have experienced the sending problem with an office 365 mail account (@btconnect.com)on my new MacPro connected to a Business Hub 4.  

To resolve:

1. Ensure your Mac 'Computer Name' has no spaces and contains letters and or numbers only.

To do this go to: System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name

2. Log in to you Hub 4 via 192.168.1.254 go to Advanced Settings > Home Network > Devices and click on the device that looks like your MAC (it may be labled 'unknown') scroll down and click 'Delete Device'

3. Restart your Mac.

Assuming you have the mail account set up correctly you should now be able to send mail from it. 

Worked for me:-)

I would have never have fixed it without this thread though.

gone2wales

Hi, we have 2 computers at home a PC (which is sending out mails fine) and a new Mac running 10.8.3 (which is not). If we change the settings on the hub as described in option 2, will this mess things up for the PC? We have tried option 1 which didn't work.

Thanks

Stephenc
Master User

Hi Gone2wales,

If it's just two PC's on a home network, it wont have any impact on the network, unless you share files between the PC, you may need to update the hostname on the connection sharing, but probably not.

Although, if option 1 didn't work, it may be a different issue you're having as this should have sorted it too.