cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2701HGV, Static IP and Address Allocation.

JXBURNS

New hub, set up broadband public IP address and subnet mask for the 5 static IP configuration with auto firewall turned on.

Went into the NAT & Address Allocation screen, selected the device on the LAN to be pointed to by one of the 5 IP addresses. This machine is currently set-up with IP address from the router DHCP server. So selected Public (Select WAN IP Mapping) and then chose the 1st of the 5 IP addresses. Click SAVE. System returned Configuration Successfully saved.

However when I look at the settings against the selected device again they have reverted back to WAN (allocate from pool).

I also have setup VPN port forwarding from the router to the device and that works perfectly if I use the current public IP address assigned to the router by BT. But if I try the static IP address I just tried assigning to the device it does not work meaning that the change I made to the address allocation certainly has not worked.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks - John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

a-hill
Grand Master

The 2700 should still recognise that the server and local machines are on the same network and allow local access. I tested this myself by having 1 PC on a local 192 IP, and another on a public 81 static IP with just local filesharing enabled... i was able to view the files ok.

Failing that, the only real alternative is to add a secondary LAN card to the device and use that for local connectivity on the 192 range, and use the other card for external access into the network.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

a-hill
Grand Master

Try going to Diagnostics, then Resets... clear the device list. Do a release/renew on the device you're trying to assign an IP to so it shows in the device list again, then try re-applying the static IP to it. Once it says configuration successful, it should show DHCP RENEW beside it prompting you to refresh your IP again to pick up the new public.

JXBURNS

Thanks for that. This is on a friends business system so I will pop up again in next couple of days when nobody logged on and try that. Sounds like should work. Will be back if not 🙂

Rgds John

JXBURNS

OK. Went back to the system but in meantime BT had been up to install some new VOIP phones. They had same problem and when the engineer spoke to me I advised him to reset as per advice received here which he did and managed to get the phones up.

Anyway I was also now able to set the box up with the WAN address of the 1st IP address available for the server on the local LAN (which was set to DHCP acquired address from router), ran ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew and server collected the new 81.x IP address correctly.

However all the other machines on the network no longer can communicate to the server as they are on 192.168.x network with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

So I am confused as to how this multii-IP address works on the BT business router. With a single static IP address it is easy as the router is assigned the static IP address and I can use VPN etc. to whatever machine on the local network using port forwarding.

Could someone explain what it is I am doing wrong here?

Thanks - John

a-hill
Grand Master

The 2700 should still recognise that the server and local machines are on the same network and allow local access. I tested this myself by having 1 PC on a local 192 IP, and another on a public 81 static IP with just local filesharing enabled... i was able to view the files ok.

Failing that, the only real alternative is to add a secondary LAN card to the device and use that for local connectivity on the 192 range, and use the other card for external access into the network.

JXBURNS

Yes, I was surprised as well as could not believe the only solution was as per that shown in the SBS example in the BT small office network guide to use 2 x NIC. I am using standard Win2003 server, not SBS, with 1 x NIC.

Will have another go at night when I can kick people off for more than the 10 minutes I am permitted during the day and, if all else fails, go down the 2 x NIC route.

Thanks - John