cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bt Business broadband not as fast as it could be??

valleyboy

Hi,

We have had BT BusinessBroadband installed in our new office for over 4 years now, originally 8gb was promised, i always knew we would get nowhere near this, it wasnt a problem as we were just starting up.

Move forward 2 years, we have expanded and have alot more PC's and use the internet alot, we had a totally new line put in as a favour from BT (about a year ago - im only posting this now) as they could not find out why our original line was so slow. After the engineers installed the new line a 3rd party came and put in the new hub, i was present and we did a speedtest and it was shwoing just over 6gb!! naturally this was better than our original 2gb i was over the moon.

the next day i came in and did a test again and it was showing as 3gb ?? after what seemed like a thousand phonecalls to find how how the hell it could have dropped so much i was told the following... (form memory)

when a new line is installed you get the full bandwidth, within 24 hours it calculates and throttles what speed it thinks is necessary...

can anyone shed any light on this?

we have noticed email and the loading of internet pages has become slower and slower, i did a speed test a minute ago and its giving us 3.01mbps download & 0.84mbps upload.

cheers for any help, im getting to the point where were thinking of moving to another supplier but can envisiage it being a total and utter nightmare as we have all our emails set-up and hosting of various websites.

cheers 

5 REPLIES 5

MHC
Guru

I find your story impossible to believe.

No one would promise 8gb (or to be exact 8Gb) ... that is technically impossible.

As for a speed test showing 3.01 mbps (or that should be 3.01Mbps) which is nearer the pyhsically speed the lines can handle,  the result is meaningless without the line stats from your router.  You need to go to http://192.168.0.1/xslt?PAGE=C_5_3 and get teh current line attenuation figures and SNR figures for both upstream and downstrem.  That information will tell a lot about your line and the speed you will achieve.

Moving to a different supplier would not change teh line and speeds would remain teh same.

valleyboy

thanks for reply,

"8gb (or to be exact 8Gb)" think your being a bit pedantic there Smiley Wink...

anyway these are the results from my router..

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair):Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol:G.DMT2 Annex A
Downstream Rate:3824 kbps
Upstream Rate:1073 kbps
Channel:Interleaved
Current Noise Margin:17.3 dB (Downstream) 6.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation:46.3 dB (Downstream) 27.2 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power:18.9 dBm (Downstream) 12.5 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information:Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {IFTN} Specific: {0xBE71}
PVC Info:0/38

MHC
Guru

Pedantic ... not really.   Whether a "g" or "G" you are suggesting 8 Gigabit rates which are impossible on copper.

8 Megabits per second (Mbps) which is one thousandth is the maximum you can achieve.

Your "problem" is the noise margin at 17dB which is way higher than expected but may be there for various reasons including bursts external noise.    If that was down at 6dB you would be seeing around 7 to 7.5 Mb.

Leave it for 5 days ( the BT syystems need that to establish stabity figures / characteristics) and you may see it stepping up.   Try NOT to turn the modem off - or if you have to just once or twice a day.

You may want to get a (free) copy of RouterStats Lite and leave that running for 24 hours and get it to do 60 second samples of both Sync Speed and SNR (downstream) and see if teh plot shows any significant chanages in SNR - you can put a link to an image if you want comments on the graph.

valleyboy

thanks for the further reply, our broadband phoneline acutally goes thorugh the building next door and runs down the side of a very busy manufacturing plant.

MHC
Guru

Definitely get RouterStatsLite http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstatslite   

Run it for 24 hours - starting this afternoon if possible and if you can stay until after the plant closes,  get an initial graph and post a link - I can have a look and comment.

It does sound as though noise could be a problem - especially if they have heavy machinery starting up throughout teh day.