cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call barring caller witheld number calls

bri365

I'm getting frustrated by the large amount of calls I have been recieving where as soon as I pick up and say Hello, the caller hangs up. When I dial 1471 I get the caller witheld number message. What I would like to know is, is it possible to bar incoming calls where the caller withholds their number.

Thanks

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Diamond88

You need to call sales and ask for a service called ‘Choose to Refuse’.  You should be able to have this service because you can dial 1471 to find out the last number.

With Choose to Refuse you can bar the last number that calls you (by putting a code in) even though the caller has withheld their number.  It will not tell you the caller’s number, but it will recognise, and stop if getting through to you again.

I think you can bar up to 10 numbers, so if they try calling you from a different number, you should be able to bar them again.

Here are the instructions for Choose to Refuse.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sean2008
Super User

Hi Bri365,

I would like to start by offering a warm welcome to the BT business forum community, I hope that you find this site useful.

Now in answer to your question BT offer our residential customers a service called Anonymous Call Rejection, this service will block anonymous callers ringing your telephone number.  This will work well for residentail uses however we would not recommend this for our business customer for the following reasons,

*Many public services, eg: Hospitals, Fire Brigade, Doctors and Police Forces, will not be able to contact customers who have ACR due to the withhold facility on their switchboard.

*All calls from a caller with Permanent Number Withhold will be blocked. 

I Appreciate that the calls you are receiving are causing some frustration but there is no way just to block that one caller and depending on your business blocking all anonymous numbers from contacting you could be detramental to your business.  It is very common nowadays for residentail customer to have a permanent withhold on their number.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Sean

BT Business Moderator

Message Edited by sean2008 on 07-11-2008 12:21 PM

Diamond88

You need to call sales and ask for a service called ‘Choose to Refuse’.  You should be able to have this service because you can dial 1471 to find out the last number.

With Choose to Refuse you can bar the last number that calls you (by putting a code in) even though the caller has withheld their number.  It will not tell you the caller’s number, but it will recognise, and stop if getting through to you again.

I think you can bar up to 10 numbers, so if they try calling you from a different number, you should be able to bar them again.

Hope this helps.

gemzie

Hi,

Is there any way of barring a number who is calling a business line repeaetedly? I work for a health care agency and at the weekends the office lines ar diverted to one mobile. I now have a certain mobile number calling repeatedly. He was calling my personal mobile but Ive now had my number changed so now he has become a nusiance caller on the work phone.

Any help extremely gratefully received. 

TheOtherOne
Super User

Hi Gemzie,

As Diamond88 said, you need to sign up to "Choose to Refuse", which enables you to block up to ten numbers. The sales team will be able to order this for you.

Cheers,

TheOtherOne

"He was standing, gazing northwards into the darkness, thoughtful and silent as a young tree in a windless night"

victoriana

@Diamond88 wrote:

Hope this helps.

cvm

I have been woken recently by a single ring at around 1.00 a.m. usually at weekends. The caller witholds the number. I understand that you can ban all calls where the callers number is witheld. How can I do this?

Christina