cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbox full

muggy1

Today my email inbox has filled up with system administrator failed delivery reports, but nothing in sent items, any ideas?

Have emptied it only for it to start filling up again. Have now started to recive,

Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours Mail Delivery Subsystem (MAILER-DAEMON@2bthomr12.btconnect.com).

**      THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY      **
    **  YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE  **

The original message was received at Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:20:18 +0100 (BST)
from c2bthomr10.ncs.ibs-infra.bt.com [10.87.69.231]

----- The following addresses had transient delivery errors -----
<jwehman@gmail.com>

6 REPLIES 6

kuerten
Super User

Hi. Are you getting this message using an email client like outlook? Or is it through webmail? 

muggy1

Through web mail. stopped for one day now worse than ever around 100-150 a day.

OldWolf
Guru

Hi,

You have one of two potential problems:

1. Malware sending email from your system.

2. Spoofed email address.

Number 1 can be solved by making sure your system is free of viruses and spyware, so the usual process for that.

Number 2, however, is a lot more difficult to deal with.  Email spoofing is where someone who has your email address (either legitimately or harvested) uses it to send emails, which will then possibly bounce back to you, because as far as the recipient server is concerned you are the one who sent it.

It's nigh on impossible to find the sender, so the only real option you have is to advise everyone that you know that has your email address that they may have a malware infection and should check their systems immediately.

You could also create a mail rule to automatically delete all non-delivery reports, but that means you would miss legitimate ones as well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Dave A

muggy1

Thanks Dave. The problem occurs using web mail from any PC does that throw any light on the problem? all emails seem to have different content. Have already set up rules that now just fill up my deleted box. Have notice other posting under different headings seeming to have the same problem. Appreciate your comments. Thanks Pete

OldWolf
Guru

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately using webmail makes no difference in this case.  All that webmail does is show you a view of what's on the server without using an email program to do so.

Sadly it's very easy to harvest email addresses these days, so if you've ever posted it online then there's a chance it will be spoofed at some stage.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Dave A

newton_grant

I have received a message in my Mac OSX Yoshemite telling me that my mailbox is almost full.

I have just changed to BT in the last month. I went to my old server and that is empty. Ihave tried to get into

my BT inbox and failed on several occasions.

What am I doing wrong and what should I do.

Any assistance would be appreciated.