cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious security flaw in mail.btconnect.com mail relay. Are you receving multiple NDRs?

bobdonkey

I am posting this here as support have so far been absolutely no use in resolving my issue.

My client has an account on btconnect.com which is receiving hundreds of non delivery reports. I can see in the email header that they are authenticating using the account. But changing the password for the account makes no difference.

So I setup the account in Outlook and tried other passwords.

Guess what? The old password was a simple word, but still works to authenticate. But even worse, anything added at the end of the password also works. So, say the old password was hello. Even though I changed that ages ago on btconnect.com, I can still send email using that account. But I can use hello1, hello99 hello1234812304 and so on.

Top notch security BT. And thanks for ignoring this issue for several weeks.

12 REPLIES 12

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Bob; if you truely believe you have exhausted the routine BT support routes and feel you need to get the attention at the highest level in BT then message me and I'll give you the email address of BT top level management and the Executive Level Support Team.

Two other options:

If you are on "Linkedin" then you can find BT Managers on there whom you can contact/lobby.

Or get in touch with the Guardian (newspaper) Technical Reporting Team and talk to them! LOL

Edit: take a look at this link: found it whilst looking for BT Data Protection Officer. Whilst it's BT Compliance at least it gives personal email  addresses:

http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Regulatorycompliancepolicy/Regulatorycompli...

Bob!    fill this form in and shake 'em up!

http://globalservices.bt.com/Feedback.do?method=VIEW&recordId=Managed_Security_Services_solutions_uk...

bobdonkey

Actually I am thinking of submitting mail.btconnect.com to some SMTP blacklists, that should get them to fix it pretty quickly.

I'll also give details to the register or someone if this doesnt get sorted.

gugaguga
Power User

SMTP blacksit like spamhaus would autmatically block an SMTP server. They will also assess if it really needs to be blocked. At this point, I don't think they will be able to do that since all the mail traffic from their end would come up clean.