cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet, BT Business Hub forgets settings, wireless sometimes won't connect

sshum

Hello,

I need some advise, the BT Business Hub we have keeps forgetting settings (We changed the SSID), every week or so it changes back to the default.

It often doesn't allow computers to connect using the Wifi, which we have to turn it on and off a few times to get it working.

The speed keeps dropping. The top speed i've seen it work at is 15megs, currently the download speed is: 287Kbps

Sys Info:

Model:BT2700HGV
Hardware Version:2701-100589-005
Firmware Version:6.1.1.48.1-enh.tm

What should I do?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

PocketAces

Hi Sshum,

The first thing I would do with the router is factory reset it, but you should not do this until you are sure you know all of the settings as your broadband will stop and if there is any specific setup for your network these settings will be deleted and the router back to the default settings.  If you are confident you know the settings for your connection (username/password) and for your network then you can reset the router by holding a paperclip in reset button.  If you do not know the settings please contact the technical helpdesk and they can help you reset the router.  I also recommend that the router be plugged into a surge protector incase the power is dropping and this is causing the router to reset/reboot, although it is unlikely but worth checking.

If the router does not keep the settings then the router should be replaced.

If the router was causing the speed and wifi problems then the reset/replacement should resolve this, however speed issues are not usually a faulty router, its more likely to be internal wiring or the setup used.  The best way to determine if the speed is being caused by the setup you are using is to unplug absolutely everything connected to your phone line and connect your filter and router into the test socket (the test socket is under the cover of the master socket, you have to unscrew the two screws and carefully remove the plate to reveal the hidden test socket).  Once you have your filter and router connected to the test socket then test the broadband speeds with one PC connected to the router.  If you are still having problems with your speed please contact the technical helpdesk for further testing.

I hope this helps
Julie