cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP setup advice for BT Business SmartHub 5

browser

Newbie to BT Business Broadband. I have a single office File Server on our network which I need to access from home.

Rightly or wrongly I imagined that a Static IP address would simplify connectifity, so have ordered a single Static IP address - and this has now been allocated to us. Unexpectedly received a SmartHub 5 with our Business Bt package - was expecting something a bit more familiar to an old timer!

Are there some help guides around to setup the SmartHub 5 for allocating this single IP address to our Server?

Does the Router itself require a static IP in addition to that required for our server?

Almost certain that some help guides are around - but can't find any specifically for the SmartHub 5.

Any help appreciated . Past experience has been several decades ago with remote connectivity via VPN etc, but now completely out of date. 

1 REPLY 1

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there browser

With a single static IP we auto assign this to the router when it logs into the line.  To be able to access the server remotely what you would do,  is use the routers firewall/port forwarding rules to forward requests onto the server to allow you to access it remotely.

Regards

Mark