cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IPs and Netgear routers

taks_davas

I have trawled the forum but can't quite find the answer - so here goes.

Have just switched from Pipex (or whoever they are this month) because BT Business offered better speeds at lower cost.  Took the option to have 5 static IPs (because it was the same price as 1 static IP) - migration went fine, speeds good, pretty happy

We have a netgear DGND3300 v2 router and it connects fine.  It used to work fine with Pipex and a static IP address too

We run Exchange 2007 here (which is awhole other set of issues with rDNS - but I'll get this bit sorted for now) so need to really have a static IP address on the router so I can connect remotely

If I leave the router on getting an IP address by DHCP all is fine (except of course that is dynamic), if I set the IP address to be whatever DHCP assigned then all is fine (except routing of outgoing mail that doesn't like dynamic addresses - but solved that for the time being by routing via a smart host)

But if I set the router to have the "router/hub" static IP as advised by BT I get drops in connectivity - not to all sites, but many are unreachable, some are just very slow.  If I set the router back to dynamic IP then all fine - but of course I then have to change the DNS on my external DNS server so that I can access Exchange again! (Becasue I'll now have a new DHCP address assigned).  We run a number of domains on an hosted server and our remote.xxxx.com domain's DNS is on that server so we have control over it.

I don't want to disable NAT on the router - for starters we have many more that 5 (or 13) devices attached to the network - like NAS boxes, cameras etc - which don't want to be outward facing really but are much better on our 192.168.20.xxx networks really.

Am I missing something obvious?

Should I have gone for a single static IP rather than 5 (and how do I get back to that?).  The ordering process didn't seem to make any potential problem clear

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Tom

0 REPLIES 0