cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static ip for wireless device

islac

Hi,

I would like to configure one of my wireless devices on my 2701 router to use a static IP address.  I don't need the address to be visible to the outside world, just to set the device (an internet radio) to alway use the same IP  when it connects to the router.  The problem is that we have lots of wireless devices which connect to the router, and are continually getting IP address conflicts when devices attempt to connect.

A couple of years ago, I was able to do this without a problem on my old 2700 router.

I can't work out whether the £5 per month charge for a static ip address is now necessary for internal addresses, as well as externally visible ones?

If there is a way to do this without the monthly charge, can someone advise me if my assumption for the following settings which my device (an internet radio) is asking for are correct

IP address: 192.168.1.xxx

Network mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway adress: 192.168.1.254

Primary DNS: ??

Secondary DNS: ??

Alternatively, any tips on how to minimise this problem of conflicting IP addresses for wireless devices?

Many thanks,

Isla

27 REPLIES 27

bombinho
Super User

Surely you will not need a static IP to the outside for this.

As this would not help you anyway.

You should find the required settings in |Settings| - |LAN| - |NAT & Address Allocation|.

Pick a suitable private fixed address and you should be in business.

islac

Thanks.  I would also have thought that to be the case.  However, every time I try and save a "fixed" IP address in NAT & Address allocation, it automatically reverts to "from pool".

Also, I am unsure whether I am using the correct settings on the device itself, as per the original message.

bombinho
Super User

Static IP is different. In this case the device needs to use a static IP from itself and the Router just reserves the IP.

But does not tell the device to use that one. If your device asks the router for an address it will be given any other address from the pool than rather this one.

You can get as well a dynamic IP. That is when the router gives the device any possible address from the pool as soon as it requests an address.

Or you allocate a fixed address from the pool to the device. This means as soon as your device asks for an address it will receive this specific address which needs to be within the pool.

If you give me an idea what internet radio we are talking about I might be able to help you a bit more specific.

With your network data provided as raw as that I would not even know the difference between a misspelling, a question or a statement.

bombinho
Super User

Are you using fixed, static or dynamic addresses for your wireless devices? When does the address conflict happen and how do you get to know that?

MHC
Guru

Set the DHCP range to be smaller than the 256 normally allocated - say 100 to 150 and then using the MAC address of the device allocate a local IP address outside the fixed range - say 180.   Remember to SAVE every change.

bombinho
Super User

Why and how would you use the MAC address to allocate something in the not allocated address range?

For me it works by simply telling the device to use a specific IP and the router discovers it straight as a static IP.

Whereas if you still want to use DHCP lets say if the device supports it and gets used in more than one network then you can just fix the allocated address and will keep your IP reserved for the specific device.

I am still to find a menu that allows me to enter or see the MAC apart from the Devices List? Of course except MAC filtering which is not subject here.

Personally I would not advice on a static IP on a mobile device at all. For the internet radio I assume it could be OK as that might not get carried around that much. As that calls for address conflicts. Every network the device gets used has to allow for an address range for the static addresses. And you need to make sure manually not to use this IP for another device. Replacing or adding devices starts becoming brain work: Where have I put the note that tells me where I kept the list with all the static IPs so I can use an appropriate one? Accessing your printer after a wee while not being used ends up in the hunt for the manual so you can print your wireless settings in order to access the printer on the right IP. ...

Better option is to leave this to the DHCP server. And in case a fixed IP would be required most routers allow for that.

whiller123
Super User

@islac

You are quite right it does revert back to allocating the address from the pool I have had the same problem.

You would think it should work but it does not.

I have the same problem where I have Windows Xp cctv camera servers on site with the 2701HG-C hub.

I always put a static address on the camera server 192.168.2.100 if there is a network printer 192.168.2.101 and so on then let the hub deal with everything else DHCP. DNS I try to leave Auto if possible so the device gets the settings from the Hub If the device insists on having DNS set in manually I use Google public.

Your device will show in the Nat list like so

Device : cameraserver

Current Address :192.168.2.100
Device Status :Connected Static IP
Firewall:Enabled
Address Assignment :Static IP - no DHCP
WAN IP Mapping :Router WAN IP address (default)

Address conflicts:

Do you have more devices than addresses?

Rob

The 2700HGV is the same

bombinho
Super User

I just tried here and unfortunately you are right, Rob. It says it does but it does not.

Never noticed that as I am not really using the hubs DHCP.

But I definitely had it working at one point in the past. Just clearing the device list has proven to be a pretty good cure for most unexpected problems so those settings would be lost by now anyway.

Only do that if you have the time and will to reconfigure the whole list again.

whiller123
Super User

@bombinho

Hi No it doesn't does it

not a major problem though probably a firmware bug. I unwrapped an old unused hub the other day 2701HGV-C it works on that but no content screening, HEY HO cant have your cake & eat it eh? it has old firmware. The DHCP in the hub is OK, once it issues a address to a device it always reserves it for the device unless it runs out of addresses.

Useful in my pub where devices come & go all the time. the only time I get IP conflict messages is if we have a Windows VPN server on the network which I normally do in the form of a CCTV server, but in the VPN setup if I specify the IP address range manually this cures it.

Is your content screening OK?

Rob