cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

btconnect server problems with Windows Live Mail

PeterRH

I've been sending and receiving emails via btconnect with Windows Live Mail on a Windows 7 laptop for several months without problem.  Since last week sending mails has failed all the time (receiving emails is OK).  I get error message:

TCP/IP error on mail.btconnect.com.  Error code 0x800ccc15, protocol smtp, port 25; ssl no.

I've read through this forum and others and tried just about every possible setting (with/without authentication, SSL on/off, mail.btconnect.com/smtp.btconnect.com, just first part of email address for account name/full email address).  It seems many people have had similar problems sending btconnect emails but I cant find clear advice on how to solve this.  Can someone please help?  Also could someone provide the complete set of correct pop3 email settings for btconnect with Windows Live Mail.

4 REPLIES 4

Plumly
Grand Master

Hi Peter,

I'll Provide the Full correct List of settings for windows Live Mail,

Server Can either be Smtp.btconnect.com or Mail.btconnect.com (I would suggest Smtp.btconnect.com)

port 25

SSL OFF,

Authentication, (on If sending from a None BT Connection/off if sending from BTconnection) if you need Authentication on use the Pirmary Btconnect username and password (E-mail) to do this,

Thats pretty much it if these don't work, i would suggest to try telnetting the server via the laptop to make sure that there is nothing else blocking the connection attempts

If i remember right 0x800ccc15 is a tcp connection timeout, so the connection to the Server isn't being established, might be somthing within your PC Blocking the connection attempt,

Thanks

plumly

PeterRH

@Plumly wrote:

Hi Peter,

I'll Provide the Full correct List of settings for windows Live Mail,

Server Can either be Smtp.btconnect.com or Mail.btconnect.com (I would suggest Smtp.btconnect.com)

port 25

SSL OFF,

Authentication, (on If sending from a None BT Connection/off if sending from BTconnection) if you need Authentication on use the Pirmary Btconnect username and password (E-mail) to do this,

Thats pretty much it if these don't work, i would suggest to try telnetting the server via the laptop to make sure that there is nothing else blocking the connection attempts

If i remember right 0x800ccc15 is a tcp connection timeout, so the connection to the Server isn't being established, might be somthing within your PC Blocking the connection attempt,

Thanks

plumly

Hi Plumly

Thanks for this.  These are the settings I've been using sucessfully for several months so still a mystery to me what has changed. You also mentioned telenetting the server, how do I do this? I will also try the laptop on a different Internet connection but that will have to wait a couple of weeks. 

Plumly
Grand Master

To telnet,

you have to install on Windows 7 or Windows Vista PC,

if Windows XP,

go to start then Run, In this type telnet

This will open a new Black screen,

Then enter

Open smtp.btconnect.com 25

Then Press Enter,

it should refresh the page, then type in,

Ehlo Local (then hit Enter)

Then Type in,

mail From: emailaddress@btconnect.com (obviously Replacing Emailaddress with your address) (hit Enter)

rcpt to: Address sending to (hit enter)

Data Subject : test (Hit Enter)

Then type a message (hit Enter)

. (hit enter)

This will send a test mail using telnet if this goes through fine, then its unlikly to be a problem with your PC,

Thanks
Pliumly

suntattood
Power User

Will that work the same if you have either Windows 7 or Vista?