cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

obtaining old business telephon number

jonah1

I have a bt business line installed and would like to change the telephone number for an old bt business number which I have been told is avaliable. Then it was not due it being on a different exchange,if I was by the original exchange then it could be done? I live in the same standard code area and  do not understand why it cannot be diverted somehow to my new buiness line.

can anyone throw some light on this I have been to the bt shop and have spoke to many people who really have noy clarified as to why not especially with the technology we have today. 

I would be very grateful for some help on this  

9 REPLIES 9

Andy75
Power User

Hi there,

Geographical Numbering in the UK is based on allocating number blocks to specific exchanges. Each exchange serves its own geographical area. This helps maintain a strong signal on lines as attenuation increases the longer the line. Restricting lines to a single exchange maintains an acceptable average distance.

Numbers are used to route calls but also to determine the charge. Recognising where a number is located helps anyone making a call estimate the likely associated call charges when dialling it from their location. Braking the link between actual physical geographical location and the charge raised would remove this useful information from numbers. Also, people sometimes like to do business with local suppliers and the number helps them recognise where the alternatives they may have to choose from are located

Thanks

Andy

BT Forum Moderator

jonah1

Thank you so much for the information, so if I were to have had my address located within the geographical area of the original exchange then i would have been able to obtain the original old business number???

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi

If you remain within the same exchange you would be able to keep your number, you can find out what exchange you are in by going to http://www.samknows.com.

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

Ppltd
Hi, I have been told the number we previously had is still available!! Its in the same area, so should't be any issues. However, I have spoke to numerous people to try get this changed over, they keep telling me I have to do this online,,,,, where do I do this online, can you advise please. Really need out old number back. Thank you melanie

Tracey
Guru

Hi Ppltd,

Sorry to read about the issues you are having.

If you have a look at the Esaver Support page they would be able to assist you with this.

Hope this helps

Tracey

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.

Ppltd
No actually it doesn't help!!!!! I have tried that and we can't send emails, keeps saying an error has occurred! I have rang every number available! I been put through to every different department! To then be but back to the first person I spoke to! All I want to do is change my existing telephone number!!!!!

Tracey
Guru

Hi Ppltd,

There are also live chat options on the link I sent above.

Thanks

Tracey

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.

Ppltd
Tracey, after all I have said that is your reply!!!! I have tried the live chat! Amazing they can,t help What is you reply now!! Mel

Tracey
Guru

Hi Ppltd,

I apologise you are not happy with my response.

As per the Guidelines of the Forum which you would have read when you signed up to the Forum, we are not able to arrange the number change for you, this is why I have given the link to the Help and Support section of our website which gives all the contact options for the eSaver team. I apologise you have not been able to obtain support. I would suggest trying the live chat again on the link I have sent you above as they would be able to assist you with this.

Thanks

Tracey