cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2701HGV-C Fibre router

celestrium

Hi there,

I have had a fibre router for a few months now with no real problems. I've just purchased a rental HD movie on the PS3 PlayStation store and every time the download starts the router crashes. This happens on both the wired and wireless interfaces and it's only happening with the movie download.

Does anyone know of this problem?

Do you know whether the router can be re-imaged with a firmware update?

We paid £4.49 for the movie and now we can't watch it. A speedy post would be much appreciated.

Regards

Celestrium

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

celestrium

Hi there, 

I tried ringing BT 24/7 support but they were unable to help me. They told me to contact Sony as it was obviously a problem on their side. I didn't accept this so I took more drastic action and bought a new LinkSys E3000 router. This sorted the problem out right away. The PlayStation Film download worked first time with no crashes. I also noticed the throughput of the router seemed far faster and the wireless was definitely better. The max I could get on the BT router was around 18Mbps. On the LinkSys it was topping out at 31000Mbps. It also sorted out a problem I'd been having with downloading new patches from Apple Dev Centre which never worked with the BT router.

I conclude from this experience that BT routers aren't very reliable and I wont be using mine again.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

MalcolmW

HI Celestrium, please provide a little more info! what happens to the router exactly? does it switch off? what do the lights do? what other devices do you using this connection? can you download from other places without problems?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These Forums are for BT Business customers to discuss how to get the most out of their BT Business products and services with other customers. If you have an issue that needs to be resolved by BT please contact us. Off topic posts will be removed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

celestrium

Hi there, 

I tried ringing BT 24/7 support but they were unable to help me. They told me to contact Sony as it was obviously a problem on their side. I didn't accept this so I took more drastic action and bought a new LinkSys E3000 router. This sorted the problem out right away. The PlayStation Film download worked first time with no crashes. I also noticed the throughput of the router seemed far faster and the wireless was definitely better. The max I could get on the BT router was around 18Mbps. On the LinkSys it was topping out at 31000Mbps. It also sorted out a problem I'd been having with downloading new patches from Apple Dev Centre which never worked with the BT router.

I conclude from this experience that BT routers aren't very reliable and I wont be using mine again.

cwelham

Ive had this router since october 2010 and it has just started crashing constantly. I think the problem is with the wireless side as it mainly happens when my children are gaming via theor laptops.

Is there a better quality product that can be used as a replacement for this unit or can BT provide a LAN only product and I can then use a seperate wireless access point which will also support N.

reece71079
Power User

I think this problem needs sorting quick, it needs an0 upgarde or new firmware, I have the same problem mate when I want to download a large file from My megashares.com account the modem just crashes and resets evrey time. Its vey frustrating.

Come on BT you need to look into these problmes and get them sorted A.S.A.P. Please

I think the problem is when the 2701 comes to downloading a largte file say 7gb plus it just cannot cope, it just crashes and resets.

Please, please, please BT dont let me tell you twicw THIS NEEDS SORTING LIKE NOW!

Regards,

stu.

PS Not just happening with the fibre port its the same with the adsl port i suspect major problems.

FootFruit
We had a similar problem with this router for the last few days days. PS3 error 8701023 at the same point in a large game download every time. A helpful chap on the BT heldesk got me to adjust the MTU, without success. I had tried putting the PS3 in the DMZ and when I subsequently went to take it out of the DMZ I noticed that the PS3 can be configured to accept PPPoE. So I took the wire going from the modem to the router and put the router end into the PS3. After configuring the network connection on the PS3 to use PPPoE with the BT userid and password the download worked fine and I then moved it back onto the router.

FootFruit
Re my post above: i quoted the error number from memory and now that I check find that it should be 80710723

cwelham

Hi Celestrium

Im experiencing real issues with the 2701HGV-C crashing/loosing internet on a regular basis when my 2 kids are gaming via wireless.

I see that youve replaced the 2701HGV-C with a linksys E3000 and wanted to know if you would still recommend it and how easy it was to connect it up to the openreach fibre modem.

Thanks for your help with this.

Cheers

MiloBT
Power User

@cwelham wrote:

Hi Celestrium

Im experiencing real issues with the 2701HGV-C crashing/loosing internet on a regular basis when my 2 kids are gaming via wireless.

I see that youve replaced the 2701HGV-C with a linksys E3000 and wanted to know if you would still recommend it and how easy it was to connect it up to the openreach fibre modem.

Thanks for your help with this.

Cheers

I also replaced my 2701 with a Cisco/Linksys E3000. I'd definitely recommend the router, and if you check the 'sticky' threads then you should see one entitled "BT Fibre/Infinity - Guide to using your own router" which should be all you need to know for using your own router with BT's Fibre modem.

Also - It depends on how technical you are as to whether you want to do it, but I installed custom firmware on the E3000 (something called Tomato RAF - http://victek.is-a-geek.com/tomato.html) which is better performing than the Cisco provided firmware - and offers more configuration options than the standard firmware.

EDIT: I've just looked at the price of it! I managed to get mine for £85 from PCWorld (was £95 at the time and they were offering 10% networking product discount)...it's now £140 there!! It's £95 on Amazon though.

cwelham

Hi MiloBT

Thanks so much for the info and links its really appreciated.

Ive now ordered it from Amazon and am lookin fwd to no more "internet's down again dad!" cries from my kids.

Cheers