cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2Wire and FTP

roger_panton

I have spent a considerable amount time trying to set up FTP on a BR Buisness Service, finally decided to try the BT help desk......

Did you know that for business Broadband BT don' support FTP you have to by a Netgear Router. Do they tell you in their documentation its not supported NO.

ON their FAQ do they tell you that 2wire does not support FTP No

Is it in the FORUMS that BT 2 Wire does not support FTP No

Do they care that I have wasted a considerable amount of time NO

What is the answer

2 REPLIES 2

TimDurham75
Power User

Given that "FTP Server" is a specific pre-programmed exception rule example in the 2Wire 2700 Firewall for creating "Allowed Applications, Pinholes and DMZ Mode" for the Settings>Firewall, I think someone has been speaking rubbish.   You could also set up your own custom application rules to remap and direct ports between public and private addresses so I cannot for the life of me think why this could not make this work one way or another even if it means redirecting other port numbers. FTP is also a protocol listed on the Outbound Protocols of the "Advanced Configuration" so I am very skeptical.

I cannot claim to have tried this but I would find it unbelievable that the product would ship with rules that cannot be used?

Certainly, in general, I know the Pinhole port direction functionality to work just fine as I use it myself for a server application hosted on my network.

It should be simply a matter of ensuring the FTP server is up and running and then setting up the port directions to make it publicly visible.   It should then appear as a public FTP Server on your public IP address - the router takes care of directing the traffic.

gugaguga
Power User

This must be disappoint to you. But all you need to do here is to open up port 21 so FTP could work well. If you can open this port, your pretty much done with the difficult stuff.

Are you also hosting the FTP server? You can also configure it to list to other open ports other that port 21 which is whitelisted on the BT 2wire.