cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A minefield of incompetence . . . .

michaelgaffney

I joined BT on 9th Sept 2014 by subscribing to the broadband package. I was warned not to by friends. They said BT was a minefield of incompetence. I continued as I wanted fibre optic broadband as soon as possible. I soon found out why they were warning me.

Firstly I asked for my master socket to be moved in my house. The first engineer who came was an external contractor and not an Openreach engineer. He did not do what he was told i.e. move the master socket from bedroom to sitting room, he instead ran a cable down the stairs that caught in the door and would have cut after a few days with the door opening and closing. The new (not master socket) in the sitting room that he installed resulted in the internet not working anymore as a result of his handy-work. He left without testing. I then had to call BT customer services in India who were not able to compute this issue as it wasn't a black or white case. Eventually after a lot of useless testing of the router I got another engineer to call the following week. This all cost me £205. I felt cheated.

My BT Home Hub 4 router will not work wirelessly with 2.4GHz hardware - that's a laptop in my house and Cambridge Audio wireless speaker. The HH4 claims to be dual band, 2.4GHz and 5GHz but it’s not functioning this way. The team in India do not know how to deal with this issue - reboot, reboot, reboot! The internet has many cases of this issue and it’s commonly discussed by customers that the HH4 has a software bug.

The customer services channel is so hard to wade through and so impersonal, there seems to be a different number and team for each simple task. A sign of a good customer service team is that one call, maybe with different people helping, will get through the issue. Being told that you have to call a separate number when you get through and having to go through all the messages/options again is so infuriating.

I was also charged for going over my 10GB broadband data limit - I have unlimited broadband !!!! Had to spend an hour going through different teams trying to explain this. Eventually rectified.

The final point which is the most annoying is that when I have issues now I just don’t do anything about them, I cannot bring myself to go through the call centres as it usually ends up in a scripted conversation. I really feel trapped in this contract and want out. Especially as my street is one of the very few in the area that has not got FO broadband because BT won’t invest in the infrastructure i.e. replace the cabinet.

BT should look at companies like First Direct for how customer service should be provided.

2 REPLIES 2

markp
Grand Guru

Hi michaelgaffney

I am sorry to see all the problems that you have had with getting your Infinity broadband isnatlled.  Reading through your post it sounds liek you have a Home/residential  broadband account.  As this is the business forum I am not able to investigate this for you.

If you contact the home/residential team on 0800 111 4567, www.bt.com/chat or their forum http://community.bt.com they will be able to advise and investigate this for you.

Mark

Andy2972

ive had no infinity for 3 weeks now  each time i call bt support im told the same thing its a problem at the exchange or line fault ??my security camers wont work for the house etc  i was told the engineer wont be out for another week  as i work abroard this is not good.my next door nighbour has the same problem  HELP