cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Broadband Desktop Help

James
Master User
BT Broadband Desktop Help is a help tool that can assist with the most common broadband connection and email problems. The tool performs a number of broadband and wireless checks to help you if you have a problem. It also includes Wireless Connection Manager, a utility that ensures your wireless equipment is set up correctly.

Download Desktop Help and you'll get:

- Instant access to help, even when not connected
- Easy-to-use tools that automatically keep themselves up-to-date
- Automatic checking and fixing of common broadband connection and email problems

Download Desktop Help today then post a message and tell us what you think.

BT Business
Message Edited by James on 24-02-2009 03:18 PM

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.
Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gs
Super User

If you have to ask how to stop it runing then you should not be in the registry.

There is a far safer and simpler way.

Click start, then run, then type msconfig and press enter, click on the tab that says startup and find the process that is dekstop help. Untick it and click ok. Once you have restarted your PC check the tick box that comes up with the warning message and click ok.

From memory it is called installhelper.exe or bthelpbrowser.exe, just look at the file path for where it is installed to confirm which it is.

The registry is for advanced users as any changes you make cannot be undone without creating backups and so on, this is just a checkbox.

gs

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

jcsturgis

I am trying to install this on a new (ultimately replacement) laptop running Windows Vista (previous laptop was XP) - part of the installation requires specification of the primary user account for the broadband connection, which ends in btinternet.com.  Installation seems to require it to be btconnect.com and fails if I specify this, presumably because this account does not exist.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Thanks.

nsampson

Hi there, I have *finally* managed to download this tool. I say finally, because I currently have a pitifully slow 160kps connection - yes, this is supposed to be BT Business Broadband...so for starters, I'm not impressed.

Anyway, having installed the tool, I was hoping that I'd be able to run some diagnostic checks and get some handy pointers as to what could be causing the slow connection speed and how it could be remedied.  Instead, I get;

- Troubleshoot Email ... no use to me as I don't use BT Business email

- Setup Email Account ... again, what's the point? I don't need *another* email account!

- PC Housekeeping...ahh...this looks promising, however it looks like it performs the very same function that you can achieve by clearing your cookies, browser history and cache via the Tools menu on the browser...so no 'value add' there.

There's links to the following;

- Broadband forums

- Support & Advice

- Speed issues

...all of which are BT online help resource web pages that I could access without this tool.

On the 'Services' tab, I see a few more options, but again these are all basically links to existing webcontent...not a diagnostic checking application at all.

Perhaps the tool will be expanded to cover what has been promised, but in the meantime, it's next to useless and doesn't provide me with anything useful.

I guess the text says that it 'runs in the background' and 'alerting you only if theres a problem'...isn't a very poor connection speed of 160kps considered a problem?

Cheerio

Neil - long term BT Business Broadband customer - now very dissatisfied with BT and looking to move elsewhere (taking the rest of the company BT Business broadband accounts with him).

garethsoloman

Hi! Replying only now because of installing this Desktop Help just yesterday.

My primary user email account ends in "btopenworld.com" and when I acceded to the request to replace that by "btinternet.com" the installation completed successfully!

I can't imagine why yours proved to be unsuccessful.

Gareth  

garethsoloman

Hi!

I just joined for identical reasons.

I just tested my upload and download speeds with a freeware from Brothersoft: go to http://www.brothersoft.com/internet-speed-test-diagnostics-download-197023.html for download.

Even at our connection speeds it takes seconds.

My download connection speed is at 130.5 kbps allowing downloads from servers at 16.3 KB/sec.

My upload connection speed is at 144.3 kbps allowing uploads to servers at 18 KB/sec.

This bares out my experience for a week now.

Virgin Media just got my order!

george6

My broadband download speed is so slow I cannot even download the Desktop Help!!!!

Brian

NarrowBand

Not everybody in the world uses Windows. Bill Gates probably wishes they did but there are superior operating systems out there. One of which is Mac OS X.

I don't seem to be able to find a version of this tool for Mac OS X.

Why is that? 

petracarrier
Having received an email asking me to downland desktop I did just that and the very best advice I can give to anyone is DONT DO IT.  I have just wasted two hours firstly downloading it which actually was very quick and easy.  However once installed my computer did not want to play anymore telling me I had not got a network card installed which is a bit odd as we never had one in the first place.  After half an hour on the web line chat thing it was decided the best thing to do was for me to now uninstall the aforementioned software.  So I did. My antivirus went into action immediately to tell me that there were three infected files on this download and none of them could be disinfected.  Nice one BT and I wonder if they will pay my computer guys bill after hes been and put everything back to how it was before I did this download. I wont be holding my breath

alastair
Grand Guru
use system restore to go back to the day before you installed it
=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=

Riggs127

@NarrowBand wrote:

Not everybody in the world uses Windows. Bill Gates probably wishes they did but there are superior operating systems out there. One of which is Mac OS X.

I don't seem to be able to find a version of this tool for Mac OS X.

Why is that? 

BT has no Desktop Help tool for OS X.  However if you have 'Parallel Desktop' or 'VMWare' this program should run under that.  You should be aware though the Desktop Help tool, as it is at the moment, will offer solutions to problems on PC's rather than Apple OS X anyway.