cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Broadband Desktop Help

James
Master User
BT Broadband Desktop Help is a help tool that can assist with the most common broadband connection and email problems. The tool performs a number of broadband and wireless checks to help you if you have a problem. It also includes Wireless Connection Manager, a utility that ensures your wireless equipment is set up correctly.

Download Desktop Help and you'll get:

- Instant access to help, even when not connected
- Easy-to-use tools that automatically keep themselves up-to-date
- Automatic checking and fixing of common broadband connection and email problems

Download Desktop Help today then post a message and tell us what you think.

BT Business
Message Edited by James on 24-02-2009 03:18 PM

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.
Thank you.
23 REPLIES 23

clifhanger_uk

I dont mind the desktop help, but as a business user I dont really want BT installing software on my business PC thats not needed. My only question is:

Whilst I have BT BB Helkp installed, how can I set it so it doesnt auto start and create a 'question mark' icon on my toolbar?? Surely you let me turn this off?? If I want help from it I'll just execute it from the programme list. I dont want it started and its notshown in the startup programme list or in PC services! Smiley Mad

Naishy
Power User

If it's not under Start -> All Programs -> Startup then it's probably in the registry under My Computer\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. I haven't got BT BB Help installed, so I'm unable to confirm.

Tim

gs
Super User

If you have to ask how to stop it runing then you should not be in the registry.

There is a far safer and simpler way.

Click start, then run, then type msconfig and press enter, click on the tab that says startup and find the process that is dekstop help. Untick it and click ok. Once you have restarted your PC check the tick box that comes up with the warning message and click ok.

From memory it is called installhelper.exe or bthelpbrowser.exe, just look at the file path for where it is installed to confirm which it is.

The registry is for advanced users as any changes you make cannot be undone without creating backups and so on, this is just a checkbox.

gs

clifhanger_uk

Thanks guys... Yes its BTHelpNotifier.exe, it has the install path and the registry pointer.. I just disabled it. Will restart later.

Thanks again.

admiralg

Smiley Sad It seems that BT doesn't think  OSX users are worthy of a help tool! Or maybe we just don't have the same problems using OSX  that PC users do for some reason!

DG

sej7278
Super User

i run linux so am not at all interested in this desktop help stuff, plus i really don't need support from BT, so why are my HTTP sessions being hijacked by BT's adverts for it?

this is a business account and i don't expect ads from my isp - especially ones that prevent me from working.

is there someone i can phone to get this rubbish disabled?

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi

I have contact the development team who have replied that:

At BT we are very keen to offer applications to customers that can enhance the quality of the broadband service that we provide. More information on what Desktop Help can do is available here: http://www.bt.com/business/help/desktop While we accept that at present there is only a Windows version available, this does cover the vast majority of our customers.

To help us present this opportunity, we have recently started using the redirect facility for this service message, as when trialled it did allow us to successfully communicate the availability of Desktop Help to a large number of customers. We have set this to be viewed at first log in the morning to minimise any impact during the working day. Customers should only see this message once. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

We do believe that having this capability installed will, for most customers, help provide an even more reliable service and for this reason we would urge customers to install it. However if you do decide that Desktop Help is not for you at present, there is an easy click-through which will allow you, within seconds, to be back to your normal internet browsing.

Thanks for your comments, any feedback whether positive or negative is appreciated to enable us to continually strive to improve our service to our customers. Your comments will be fed into any future development of this tool.

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

sej7278
Super User

so when we click "i do not want this junk installed on my pc" will that flag be saved on our accounts so we never get session hijacked again?

wow, this is like PHORM all over again.

lawrencedudley

Totally unacceptable, especially as BT seem to be naive enough to think that the only thing ADSL lines are used for is web browsing. What happens when a service goes down like ours did and we don't run kit with a web browser at the other end?

You CAN'T redirect communications to advertise your crap software which doesn't even run on the platforms we use. BT Business? More like BT Joke, or maybe a very bad April fool.

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi

Apologies to those whose browsing was interrupted by a Desktop Help service notice.  We've listened and are suspending the notice immediately to make changes to how we communicate this service.

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.