cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Hub 6 VPN and email issues

BEng

Hi all, wonder if anyone could help please?

We have been a long standing BT customer for years.

In September last year, we signed up for a BTNet line.  Lead time was quoted at 45-55 working days, so we were hoping to have this in place well before Christmas.  Unfortunately, a series of BT cockups ensued, and we are still without it.  In addition, our existing Infinity 1 line has been dropping regularly throughout the day, making connections difficult.  We spoke to BT and they have provided a new contract for us, with a new router. It also has a 4G assure addon.  This is on the proviso that once the leased line is eventually installed, this service will be cancelled.

The new router has been swapped in, but we're having problems

1) Despite opening up the necessary ports, the new router does not seem to pass emails through to our server

2) We are having a problem replicating our VPN setup.  Our old router (v3) works perfectly, using PPTP passthrough.

I have read up extensively on the v6 router, and understand that the VPN issue is well known about.  I have tried all the fixes I've seen, but I can't get this working.  One other concern I have is that it would appear that the 4G dongle is somehow tied to the v6 hub, meaning we can't use a 3rd party router if we want the 4G backup?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks, Alex

4 REPLIES 4

nickpiggott

Hello,

I'm having the same problems with VPN in the same situation - we're running on 4G Assure because our fibre hasn't been installed.

PPTP - not working. I can see PORT FORWARDING events in the hub log, and I can see traffic on the server firewall, but something is making the server DROP the GRE packets, which makes me think they might be corrupt.

L2TP-IPsec - not working at all.

IKEv2 - not working at all.

So I am currently unable to give anyone workable VPN access, which is shockingly bad. I believe that the L2TP-IPsec problem is because the 4G Assure runs over the EE network, and some "hidden" NAT stuff they're doing breaks that.

If you hear anything, if anyone can help, I'd seriously welcome it.

Thanks

Nick

nickpiggott

OpenVPN is an option, but as it's not integral to Microsoft Windows, it means it has to be installed and configured separately (by both me and the users), and it means I have to maintain two different access lists as opposed to one Active Directory.

It's an undesirable workaround. The BT Hub + 4G Assist should work with L2TP-IPSec and IKEv2.

gleepy

Hi

I'm having the same VPN woes with my new Business "Smart" hub.

Have you managed to resolve your issues or can you suggest anything I can try?

Thanks in advance,

John

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi BEng 

Did you manage to get your VPN set up working? The 4g assure dongle will not work on 3rd party routers or our routers if they are in bridge mode. Please let me know.

Beth 

^BethM