cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Hub Extending Wireless Range

ianj
Hi All I am looking to extend our wireless network (via BT2700HGV) into other areas of our building where we currently have limited wired ports. Can I use any access point equipment such as Tenda or Edimax to do this, I have read on other forums some access points do not work with the BT Business Hub. I also have a spare BHT2700HGV hub if this is of any use as a range extender. Thanks Ian
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MHC
Guru

Simplest and quickest way is to use the spare 2700.    Do not try to get them to talk to each other wirelessly - it will not work but use them in a wired config.

Connect to the the Spare2700 with your PC and access the menus.  

Assuming it is a V6 go to:

http://192.168.0.1/xslt?PAGE=C_2_3

Untick the DHCP server Enabled box and then put a fixed address into the Router Address box - should be within your subnet range, but outside the DHCP range set by the primary Router    192.168.0.161  would be reasonable.

SAVE the configuration

on a V4 it is at http://192.168.0.1/xslt?PAGE=C06&THISPAGE=C01&NEXTPAGE=C06

Now you have fixed the IP address of the spare2700, disconnect the PC and connect an Ethernet cable from the Primary Router to port 1 of the spare2700.

Reconnect your PC to the normal network and in a browser access the spare2700 - 192.169.0.161 

You can then set up the wireless side.   Once you are happy, take the spare2700 to where it is required and connect to one of the wired outlets you have there.        The 2700 will then provide wireless coverage in that area AND an additional 3 wired ports if required (IP addresses are xxx.xx.xx.141, 162, 163, 164 - 141 is V4 and the others V6)

Does it make sense?

I have a network where there is a Primary 2700 working as Modem/router/WAP and 4 further 2700s connected to the network to provide coverage in a large/difficult area.

Any questions - send me a PM

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

MHC
Guru

Simplest and quickest way is to use the spare 2700.    Do not try to get them to talk to each other wirelessly - it will not work but use them in a wired config.

Connect to the the Spare2700 with your PC and access the menus.  

Assuming it is a V6 go to:

http://192.168.0.1/xslt?PAGE=C_2_3

Untick the DHCP server Enabled box and then put a fixed address into the Router Address box - should be within your subnet range, but outside the DHCP range set by the primary Router    192.168.0.161  would be reasonable.

SAVE the configuration

on a V4 it is at http://192.168.0.1/xslt?PAGE=C06&THISPAGE=C01&NEXTPAGE=C06

Now you have fixed the IP address of the spare2700, disconnect the PC and connect an Ethernet cable from the Primary Router to port 1 of the spare2700.

Reconnect your PC to the normal network and in a browser access the spare2700 - 192.169.0.161 

You can then set up the wireless side.   Once you are happy, take the spare2700 to where it is required and connect to one of the wired outlets you have there.        The 2700 will then provide wireless coverage in that area AND an additional 3 wired ports if required (IP addresses are xxx.xx.xx.141, 162, 163, 164 - 141 is V4 and the others V6)

Does it make sense?

I have a network where there is a Primary 2700 working as Modem/router/WAP and 4 further 2700s connected to the network to provide coverage in a large/difficult area.

Any questions - send me a PM

JohnE
Guru

Excellent Posting, MHC, I'll pin this as a solution.

Biggless

My BT set up is with a static IP address, does this change any of the necessary steps ?

MHC
Guru

No, I don't believe it does.   You are only changing the second device which does not care what teh external IP address is - it sends all information to the gateway IP address which is within your local 192.168.xxx.xxx block and that then interfaces to the outside world.

langhamvillage

So if I don't have a 2nd device to use, what are my options?

JohnE
Guru

If you wish to reliably extend wireless range, there really isn't an option beyond adding "Relay" wireless access points.  Another common solution is to use "Powerline" networking, please see this explanation:

How Power-line Networking Works

Which can also be used in conjunction with additional wireless access points.  Here are some examples:

BT Shop: Wireless Access Points

langhamvillage

Many thanks.

Crescent126

when you say set up the wireless side, do you mean set it the same as the primary hub. ie the same channel and ssid etc ?

MHC
Guru

You can choose to use the same SSID, encryption code &c but choose a different channel (in most cases).

I have set up some with the same SSID and code and others with different one.  Sometime having several the same can cause problems especially on the PC and you may need to choose different SSIDs    - can use MyNet1, MyNet2, MyNet3 &c.

If they are a significant distance apart, with no or very little overlap the same channel can be used along with the same SSIDs but if there is significant overlap then different channels can improve throughput.

Ultimately, it can be try it and see.