cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Hub Extending Wireless Range

ianj
Hi All I am looking to extend our wireless network (via BT2700HGV) into other areas of our building where we currently have limited wired ports. Can I use any access point equipment such as Tenda or Edimax to do this, I have read on other forums some access points do not work with the BT Business Hub. I also have a spare BHT2700HGV hub if this is of any use as a range extender. Thanks Ian
23 REPLIES 23

lolmarlor

Hi,

I'm trying to do the same as Ian.

I've followed all the instructions to the point (disabling DCHP, setting different IP etc ) where i can see both Wireless Routers on the network but when I connect to the 2nd  (given IP 192.168.1.199) via any wireless device it cannot access the internet. Similarly if i login to it via an Ethernet connection it shows no broadband connection.

Devices accessing via the original router work fine.

Does it sound like I've missed something simple ?

Regards

Laurence

HelLewis

Would this solution also work for extending my wireless range to my new garden office? Current router signal is insufficient to reach the end of the garden so have used devolo units to extend connection through electricity network. I can connect via cable to the internet in the office but I'd like to have a wireless connection down there so multiple pcs can work through wireless rather than cables.

Hoping some of this makes sense!

PS: is there a V7 version of this solution now?!

MHC
Guru

Yes it should - the Devolos are just extending the Ethernet connection.

You mention V7 ...

The latest firmware is V6.1.1.48

The 2701 is 6.3.x.x 

JohnE
Guru

This is an interesting and, it seems, a fruitful discussion.  At the risk of annoying everyone here, has anyone really considered the merits of Ethernet?

It's really not all that an arduous DIY task to install a "permanent" cable run, much the same way as installing a telephone extension.  Ethernet (cabled) connections are far more reliable and faster than wireless.  The hardware is cheap and easily installed, you can run ethernet cables as long as 300ft before having to worry about signal degredation.  It also gives you options to add Wireless Access Points, network routers as you require.

rwg104

Hello we are trying to do the same as this, however the spare router was used for a different connection and for some reason the seetings won't change properly.

When I untick the box to change it from a router to a bridge I am told that the settings I have chosen are not compatible (pppoe, pppoa etc). I have tried changing these first but to no avail. The wireless AP is intermittent too, somtimes you can connect, others it takes a long time and looses signal before connecting to the network.

Any Ideas or should we just go and get a new wireless ap?

Thanks,

Rob

MHC
Guru

Do a full factory reset to start ... and then go through the process again.

devondavid

Would like some additional help with this topic. I have a spare 2700 (about four years old) which I would like to use as a range extender. However, I can't find a way of accessing the (spare) hub to change the settings. I connected the (old) hub to a spare PC with no other connections with an Ethernet cable and  tried various different IP addresses and also the http://home address, but no luck. Ethernet cable is OK, and green ethernet lights on both PC and hub are on.

How can I find the IP address of the (old) hub to get at the menu please ? Also tried to get to it using the set-up disc, but that won't let me complete the process as it (obviously) can't find a broadband connection.

Cheers,

David.

MHC
Guru

Reboot the old router ...

Power off the PC, connect the ethernet cable and reboot the PC.

When it is fully rebooted, open a Command Prompt (DOS Window) - use teh {Windows}key & R together.  

Type:   ipconfig /all          - that will give you teh IP adddress allocated to te PC and te Default Gateway - which is the Hub address.

At 4 years old you may have an older V4 device - it is similar but te exact location in te menu is diferent.

devondavid

Many thanks MHC. May need a bit more help with the next bit, but will see how it goes.

Cheers,

David.

tbfnet

Thanks for the post, I noticed a mod talking about using powerline, what are the options for using power line to create a repeater linked to main hub.
I should add that the power line would be using 1 phase of a three phase power cable, the reason is that the repeater is for a new shed that has been built for the smokers in the car park but this is nearly 200 meters from the main office and they want to use the wifi. Thought of using the power line for this as the three phase feeds the lights to the shed and the main fuses are right next to our office.
Would it work?

Also if someone has already explained this I apologize.