cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Hub Extending Wireless Range

ianj
Hi All I am looking to extend our wireless network (via BT2700HGV) into other areas of our building where we currently have limited wired ports. Can I use any access point equipment such as Tenda or Edimax to do this, I have read on other forums some access points do not work with the BT Business Hub. I also have a spare BHT2700HGV hub if this is of any use as a range extender. Thanks Ian
23 REPLIES 23

MHC
Guru

@tbfnet wrote:

Thanks for the post, I noticed a mod talking about using powerline, what are the options for using power line to create a repeater linked to main hub.
I should add that the power line would be using 1 phase of a three phase power cable, the reason is that the repeater is for a new shed that has been built for the smokers in the car park but this is nearly 200 meters from the main office and they want to use the wifi. Thought of using the power line for this as the three phase feeds the lights to the shed and the main fuses are right next to our office.
Would it work?

Also if someone has already explained this I apologize.

The method would work - has been done many times but:

200 metres - could well be outside the range of the Powerline adapters and even if then did work then they would be performance reduced.

If it was me I would get a full (305m) drum of external Cat5e and run that out to the shed ...

test232
It's really not all that an arduous DIY task to install a "permanent" cable run, much the same way as installing a telephone extension. Ethernet (cabled) connections are far more reliable and faster than wireless. The hardware is cheap and easily installed, you can run ethernet cables as long as 300ft before having to worry about signal degredation. It also gives you options to add Wireless Access Points, network routers as you require. .....

josefinasmith

@MHC wrote:

Simplest and quickest way is to use the spare 2700.    Do not try to get them to talk to each other wirelessly - it will not work but use them in a wired config.

Hi there. Will the instructions to extending wireless range using the spare 2700 work with other routers? I have a spare NETGEAR DG834G v3. My BT Business Hub with fibreoptic connection was installed 1 December 2011. Thanks.

MHC
Guru

@josefinasmith wrote:

Hi there. Will the instructions to extending wireless range using the spare 2700 work with other routers? I have a spare NETGEAR DG834G v3. My BT Business Hub with fibreoptic connection was installed 1 December 2011. Thanks.

Use the Business hub set up and define a set of assignable IP addresses on page:   home/xslt?PAGE=C_2_3

With Configure Manually checked.

Router Address   use the current default -    or one of your choosing say 192.168.1. 25

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

First DHCP 192.168.1.128

Last DHCP 192.168.1.192

Then set the Netgear with a FIXED IP address as 192.168.1.50      or similar.

If the Netgears address cannot be changed you will need to select a range for the 2701 that allows them to work together