cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Hub (Wireless Bridge) Issue

Welshred

Hi,

I have 2 BT Business hubs (2700 models) and want to use one of them as a wireless bridge/access point as my internet connection in much of the property is very poor as our house has VERY thick walls.

I thought it would be reletively straight forward to postion one of the hubs in a strategic location so that I get greater wireless coverage by bridging but I simply cannot get it to work.

1st Question is...

Can it be done? (wirelessly access the internet via the bridged hub which is connected to the main hub "wirelessly", which in turn is connected to the internet)?

2nd Question is...

If it can be done can someone provide a step by step or point to one?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

firionicable
Power User

To tell you honestly, I use a different router to work on my wireless connection as home. Works well with BT, but not sure if it is recommended.

MHC
Guru

@Welshred wrote:

Hi,

I have 2 BT Business hubs (2700 models) and want to use one of them as a wireless bridge/access point as my internet connection in much of the property is very poor as our house has VERY thick walls.

I thought it would be reletively straight forward to postion one of the hubs in a strategic location so that I get greater wireless coverage by bridging but I simply cannot get it to work.

1st Question is...

Can it be done? (wirelessly access the internet via the bridged hub which is connected to the main hub "wirelessly", which in turn is connected to the internet)?

2nd Question is...

If it can be done can someone provide a step by step or point to one?

thanks

No, it cannot be done.   

Howevwe, if you can get a single Ethernet cable between the locations you can have two WAPs.

Welshred

Hi,

A wired connection is not what we want, I know that the router can be set up to be a bridge and I have been looking online for help doing this but despite finding some sites that seemed to suggest it could be done we have not been able to do it.

If I canot do it with two BT business hubs can it be done another way?

I only want wireless solutions to this.

Main router would be connected to internet/phone line.

2nd router/other device wirelessly communicating with main router.

2nd PC wired or wirelessly connected to "slave" router/device.

Any options?

thanks,

MHC
Guru

The bridge mode in the hubs is not designed to work as a wireless hub and is to allow a user to have the BT hub providing just the interface to the DSL line including authentication and then connect directly to the users' own router, DHCP server, firewall &c.

There are wireless repeaters available from some of the major hardware providers  - they talk to the master hub and maintain a link there and also act as a WAP.

Two issues to consider.    If the repeater uses just one channel then you will be forced down in speed terms to half of the link - and if you already have coverage issues you may find speeds to be low.   Secondly, latency will increase noticeably.