cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Fibre/Infinity - Guide to using your own router

MiloBT
Power User

I've successfully used my own router with BT Infinity for business and figured I'd post this to help anyone who might want to do the same.

The OpenReach VDSL modem that BT supply must be used and (at the moment) can not be replaced with an alternative.

However, the router that is connected to the modem can be.

Any 'cable' type router should work fine (i.e. the ones that are normally used with Virgin's Cable based connections).

In my case I'm using a Linksys/Cisco E3000.

All that needs to be done is firstly, before you're switched over from ADSL, you need to know your username & password.

The username is usually something like:

Bxxxxxx@hgxx.btclick.com

Obviously with all the x's as numbers.

Your password will be the one you selected when signing up.

Secondly, on the router you will be using, you need to set the connection type to PPPoE. Set the username value to the one above, and the password value to the password you selected.

That's it!

NOTES: 

Currently there is only one manufacturer who makes an integrated VDSL modem/router, but this isn't easily available (or reasonably priced), plus BT won't support it...so for those looking for an 'all in one' solution like you may have had for ADSL, you're out of luck for now.

62 REPLIES 62

ThelmaCottage

Disconnected all the BT gear and plugged in the Vigor box which fired up straight away. Not much noticable diffenece in performance. The VPN work fine only limited by the slow ADSL at the other end 😞

LeeC22

Do you know of a download link to the User Guide? I went to the Draytek site to find one, but can't see one for the 2750. I'm interested to see how the internal software is geared up.

Some of the features on that 2750 sound perfect for my needs, DLNA server, NAS storage for USB Drives etc... If it means I can get rid of the BT Fibre junk Router combo too, it's a win win situation.

ThelmaCottage

Thre's nothing online yet - It seems to be a very new model for the UK. The only info I needed to set it up was some setings specific to BT infinity - see VDSL BT Infinity Setup

The VPN set up self-explanatory.

LeeC22

Thanks for the link, I'll keep it bookmarked for when I get one. Smiley Happy

Shel

Hi

How do you find out what the username and password to use is? We have only ever been given a @btinternet.com one, no user@hgxx.btclick.com formatted one.

Thanks

Shell

ThelmaCottage

Log onto your BT account (using the btinternet.com) details - there you will find a section 'Manage Your Router' this shows your BTCLICK details. See below.Mamage Services

Shel

Hi

What I assume is a screenshot doesn't load unfortently.

I log in to https://www.bt.com/youraccount with our own non-BT email address to view Bills etc. I logged in and can not find a 'Manager Your Router' link. I also tried logging in with the @btinternet.com address we were given and password (I know these are correct as I use these regulary to access BT Fon/Openzone Hot Spots) but it would not allow me to log in.

Thanks

Michelle

ThelmaCottage

Looks like you will have to get incontact with BT about this - we recieve all these details in the 'welcome' e-mail. I take it you logged in under the Business Account section ?

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Shel,

If you are logging in with a @btinternet.com email address, this is a home/residential account. I would advise contacting the residential helpdesk to get support.

residential helpdesk options

Regards

markp

thefurmanuk
Power User

Hi,

Is the Draytek 2920n compatible?  Is it better than the 2750n?  Another FTTC isp is recommending this.