cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Hub 5 - modem only mode?

dice

Hi all,

Very simple query. The Hub 5 is collapsing under the load of the work network so I've bought an Asus N66U which I wanted to put the routing burden on, with the Hub 5 acting as a modem only.

However, I can see no way to do this in the interface. Is this something someone could help with as a result of me being dense, or is there genuinely no way to just utilise the vDSL feature of the H5? 

On a side, I have bought a supposedly unlocked Openreach modem which lights up as expected when I connect it to the line, but seems to transmit no data. I've tried logging into it on 192.168.0.1 but there is no page - also no ping on the IP.

Thanks very much,

AJ

2 REPLIES 2

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

The setting you are looking for is called 'bridge mode' this will make the router modem only.

It's in Advanced > Broadband > Routing

The device you use to connect to it should be set up specifically for a fibre connection with settings as follows.

Encapsulation : LLC/SNAP
VPI : 0 VCI : 35
PPP Authentication is PAP or CHAP

Don't assign an IP to the WAN if you have static, let the router pick one up dynamically.  If you have single static it will be assigned automatically on connection.  If you have Multi IP then the setup will be a bit more difficult which I can explain if need be.

If any of the above settings are different then the openreach modem won't work either, it's the same settings for this.

If you are assigning an IP to WAN then it will connect but there will be no throughput/routing.

Thanks

dice

Thanks mate, should be able to give this a try early tomorrow AM and will let you know how it goes. Think I tried messing with bridge but had no idea I'd need to put settings on the router too.

Cheers

AJ