cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Wifi, Hotspots, Multiple Devices and Security

johntclinton

As a Total Broadband small business user recently migrated to Infinity from long-standing standard broadband, I set about accessing BT Wifi (Openzone as was) only to realise that my old voucher-based credentials had now expired.

Today I have spoken to Broadband Business Support and a couple of people at BT Wifi.

It seems that in order to access BT Wifi, I have to log in using my primary email address and password. No alternatives, no vouchers, no flexibility.

My primary email address also happens to be my main email address (coz that's the way BT set things up for me initially...) and I am more than a little concerned about the security implications behind all this - especially if I want to use BT Wifi from multiple devices and multiple users.

It seems to me that the old voucher-based approach was inherently more secure (well, at least it would not force me to compromise my main email account and/or BT Account) - and a much more customer-oriented solution.

We all know the storied of hackers using public wifi access points to get their hands on personal information, yet with this particular approach, BT seems to be forcing us to choose between operating securely or taking a chance on BT Wifi.

Yes I know there is a VPN option, but that only works on selected platforms.

Am I the only person to have these concerns, or have other bright individuals already worked out a better way of doing this ?

Thanks,

John

12 REPLIES 12

silvesta001

As we all know that public Wi-Fi are not so safe, still people have a bad habit of using it. If you are using any public Wi-Fi hotspot then you should be very careful while using it. You should always protect your public Wi-Fi very carefully in order to avoid different issues related to online threats and much more.

alice123

When it comes to computer or laptop security, it becomes very important that you always keep your system updated so that not even a single malware can affect your computer or laptop. If you detect any malware in your computer or laptop then you can try Combat PC Viruses to defend against such malware with an ease.

edwards142

PC security is very much important as it can results to lose of your valuable data. But don’t worry you have a solution for easy identification of malware on your PC and remove them as quickly. Want to know how?

Read this: How to know that computer is sick and it contains viruses?