cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drops out every evening

cumbriasmithy

My broadband fails almost every evening between 10 and 11pm, which is, presumably, the internet's busiest time. Unplugging the filter from the socket and plugging it back in again is enough to re-establish the connection, but why does it do this? I've tried different filters, different modem-routers and a different ethernet switch on the LAN. I suspect my contention ratio is too great, so can this be reduced somehow? I swapped to BT Business for the very reason that BT promises reliability, but it certainly ain't reliable. The speed isn't too good either, at only 7 megabits/second through the back socket in the BT box.

Obviously I can't contact BT when this happens because their lines of communication are closed at this time of night, so this forum seems the obvious place to bring an issue like this.

3 REPLIES 3

HPS

Mine drops out between 3-4pm and as for contacting them , not a chance in or out of office hours

there as bad as NTL now

@cumbriasmithy wrote:

My broadband fails almost every evening between 10 and 11pm, which is, presumably, the internet's busiest time. Unplugging the filter from the socket and plugging it back in again is enough to re-establish the connection, but why does it do this? I've tried different filters, different modem-routers and a different ethernet switch on the LAN. I suspect my contention ratio is too great, so can this be reduced somehow? I swapped to BT Business for the very reason that BT promises reliability, but it certainly ain't reliable. The speed isn't too good either, at only 7 megabits/second through the back socket in the BT box.

Obviously I can't contact BT when this happens because their lines of communication are closed at this time of night, so this forum seems the obvious place to bring an issue like this.

cumbriasmithy

Just yesterday I managed to chat online to a BT business faults team member. He tested the line and discovered a potential fault, so an Openreach engineer visited today and after testing the line he found an 'imbalance' and eventually decided there could be a fault in the junction box under the pavement outside. So a crew will be digging up the pavement in the next few days to rectify it.

The stupid thing is that this will be about the fourth time, and each time we're told the cable and junction box are not buried deep enough and are inadequate, but they just bury it again and wait for something else to go wrong in another year or two's time. It would be nice if I could just ring them next time and say 'My junction box needs doing again'!

wajid

If it does happen. you dont have to wait for the fault to reappear before calling tech support. You can phone them and ask for a line test. Also keep an eye on yoru routers snr paramters during sync and check to see if you hear any noise on the line. Usually noise on the line is a good indicator that you dont have a clean line.

Wajid Akhtar
---------------
Technical Project Manager