cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Hub 3 - BB Extender Issues

aque0usity

Hi, I've recently purchased a pair of BB Extender 500's to plug into our BH3 (Type A), in order to extend the network with another BT Hub in another part of the building.

The Extenders appear to be working and communicating correctly (all lights green), however the Hub will not permit the Extenders to connect to the internet. I have a laptop plugged into the 2nd extender ethernet port and it can connect to the network, (although it is recognised as an 'Unidentified Network'), and the Hub has recognised that the laptop is attached so I don't think the issue is with the extenders.

Is there something I need to do to make the Hub allow the Extenders access to the internet connection?

Many thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

You could try connecting the whole lot side by side to eliminate the potential of a wiring issue.

But unidentified does mean the router is not able to communicate with the laptop.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

Nope, nothing to do on the router to get these to work, should just be plug and play.

With this kind of problem i normally find a logical process of elimination can work.

Try this:

Unplug the extender your laptop is plugged into. (the 2nd extender you called it)

Factory reset the extender beside the router (1st extender) wait a minute then connect the router.

Give it a few minutes then plug the 2nd extender again and factory reset that.  Wait untill all is green, connect your laptop and try again.

Unidentified network means that your laptop is not picking up an IP address from the router.  The hub might be recognising the laptop being atached by wifi? Your adapters should be extending ethernet.

Thanks

aque0usity

Hi Spank,

Thanks for you response, I've tried the process you suggested but unfortunately no luck. The network is still coming up as Unidentified, and whereas previously my Laptop was being recognised by the Hub, (definitely via the extenders - it was registered under Physical Connections), it now is not recognised at all.

I'm a little stumped! I've tried the usual resetting tricks with router and devices but no joy. Might it be the extenders simply not working on this system despite the green lights? It is a fairly large building and they are plugged in several rooms apart (approx 50m or so)...

Thanks!

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

You could try connecting the whole lot side by side to eliminate the potential of a wiring issue.

But unidentified does mean the router is not able to communicate with the laptop.

aque0usity

Sorted!

Thanks Spank - I connected the extenders next to each other and followed your reset procedure and it worked perfectly. When I then went back to the original extender socket it continued to work fine, all greens.

Many thanks!

spank
Grand Guru

No problem, glad you got it working.

If they are anything like mine they will occasionally bail out requiring either one or both to be turned off and on.  I normally have to do mine about once a month.