Changing router - getting rid of BT Business Hub

I have recently bought a Belkin wireless router (Advertised as BT Compatible) to replace my BT BusinessHub as it was causing problems with my PS3 (through lack of UPNP) and my iPhone could never find connection (even when placed on top of it).

On first install I followed the wizard and everything worked fine, but when I tried to access the internet I was blocked by a BT Wholesale screen on my browser.

I then reset the router and attempted to try again but now it won't accept my ISP settings (email and password) through the wizard. I have tried all different settings in the router software and still it won't connect. With this current problem websites will not load rather than being blocked by BT Wholesale.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thank you,
Daniel Martin

BT Employee

Re: Changing router - getting rid of BT Business Hub

Hi Daniel,

Sounds like it's an authentication issue i.e. you're perhaps using the wrong details to try connecting hence the Wholesale landing page.

I noticed you mentioned logging in using your email and password. This might be the issue.

The username isn't an email address.

Business Broadband network IDs are usually in the Axxxxxx@hgXX.btclick.com... (or Bxxxxxx) where hgXX is your home gateway. Maybe confirm the details sent with your original order.

Hope this helps.

Cheers John

Hi John.

Thanks for the reply. I have previously tried using my Axxxxxx@hgXX.btclick.com address that came on my welcome letter but that didn't work. I have also tried my email (@btconnect.com) and without the domain, but not the Axxxx without the domain, so I will attempt that and let you know.

When I first installed the router (through the wizard) I used my email address, the wizard said all was fine but then I got the wholesale block. Maybe if I had of used the Axxxxx instead it would have worked.

But now that no matter what I try I get failed on the wizard and by going into the router and trying manually it still won't connect. As I have reset the router to factory settings might it be something at BT that is blocking my access?

Thank again,

Dan

Guru

Hi there,

I would call the helpdesk to confirm the password on 08456007020 opt 2 then 1.

They are also investigating a possible authentication issue on the platform which may be affecting you.

Thanks

Hi again.

I phoned BT and went through the settings and they said everything is correct. ALthough they asked me to swicth from PPPoA to PPPoE. At their end however, they said the router wasn't syncing properlly. They therefore suggested that it is a problem with the router.

So I phoned Belkin and after 20 minutes of doing what I had already done a hundred times (including switching back to PPPoA), they sent me to the security log. In here the log order would be that the IP is OFFER, then ACK, then logged in. Which they informed me meant that it was being OFFERed and then ACKnowledged by BT, meaning the settings are correct!

So at this point it means either BT are for some reason restricting the access, or the router is knackered! Which being brand new I would be surprised about.

I am now attempting to update the firmware (was on version 1, and version 4 is available). If this doesn't work and nobody has any other ideas then... anybody want a router?

Cheers,

Dan

Hey.

Dunno the relevance of this but just wanting to reiterate what Spank said.  Although I use the BT Business hub, the other day, my internet light suddenly went red which meant i couldn't connect to the internet.  Phoned up BT and went through a whole host of things, they told me that my connection was showing on their system, but then it would drop again.  It may just be the authentication issues which are affecting the platform which is causing your problems, hence it saying that BT was acknowledging the connection.

Sorry it isn't much help but it may clear up once the platform is restored...

--
Apple. A crunch a day keeps Bill Gates away.

Cheers for the advice everyone.

I have decided that as the router is under warranty (but had it too long for a refund) I will send it back. This way I will either get a new one or this one fixed. I can then try again, using the correct details from the start and hopefully it will work.

Thanks again all,

Dan