cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure firewall on BT Business Hub

DerekAustin

Hi

I have recently had BT Infinity installed at our office together with the Business Hub 2701HGV-C (Firmware v. 6.3.9.63-plus.tm)

Since installation, we have been plagued with attacks, attempting to crack into our server (some 2000 last night!).  Although we have ‘robust’ passwords, I’m worried that eventually someone will gain access just through ‘brute force’

With our old router, we were able to block ALL incoming traffic EXCEPT from two specific (static) IP addresses, but for the life of me, I can’t see how to configure this (basic security issue) on the BT Business Hub – Am I missing something, can someone suggest a way I can implement this?  

Thanks in advance……..

Derek

4 REPLIES 4

OldWolf
Guru

Hi,

Surely if the firewall is logging incoming attacks that are being stopped then it is doing it's job?

Or am I missing something here?

And brute force attacks usually only work on weak passwords, or ones that use dictionary words, names, etc.  It would be quite hard to brute force a 20+ character random number/letter/case/special character password.

As far as allowing traffic through is concerned, wouldn't that be port forwarding?

Dave A

nikkil
Power User

I guess he wants to configure "access list" on this device not sure if it's an option tho. Is it possible? Like an access list or an iptables option on this device? 

spank
Grand Guru

Nope, not possible.  The BT router only blocks ports, not IP's.  It's not that basic either to be honest, most basic routers don't have this option.

DerekAustin

Hi,

The point is, the router's firewall isn't logging or stopping the incoming attacks, it's just our server's admin password that is preventing access.

Ok, I have now accepted that the BT Business Hub is  quite a 'basic' unit and setting up an IP access list isn't an option. What I have now done, is change the default incoming RDP port to a much more 'obscure' port and that (for now) seems to have stopped the attacks.

If further attacks resume, I may have to look at a more 'advanced' router.

Many thanks to all for your prompt replies - Kind regards....

Derek