cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Screening problems

bombinho
Super User

Hi,

I tried to find others having similar problems with the BT Business Hub but by now it seems I am the only one with following problem. I can not access web pages that I have not manually allowed in the Content Screening.

I do get a window instead of the desired page telling me:

"Access to this Web site has been blocked. The Content Screening rating server cannot be reached to validate the appropriateness of this Web site."

The log itself states:

csd: bad server: 0.0.0.0:0

csd: failed to send rating request to server: generic failure (nothing else makes sense)

csd: failed to resolve host '': Unknown resolver error

Of course I can disable the content screening temporarily but I would avoid that if possible.

Any ideas? Someone else got this problem too?

Is that possibly another faulty firmware pressed on?

32 REPLIES 32

MHC
Guru

Are you sure it is the BT Hub Content Screening?      Have you downloaded/enabled, maybe by mistake, a third party or AV version?

Try turning CS off - there is no harm in doing so if any children who use the connection are no online.  Or just turn it off for the one PC.

bombinho
Super User

Well the screen I am getting is definitely the Business Hubs Screen. And I do not use any other content filters.

Now these content filters are incredibly handy not only for children. An incredible lot of unwanted advertisements

and popups are getting blocked before they even get into the network and ensure a much better workflow rather

having to click away dozens of popups and what not everytime you open a web page.

As much as it filters by nature a lot of driveby's as well.

So I really would not want to switch it of permanently.

Just since today it blocks pretty much everything I have not manually allowed in the specific group.

Including Google and Oracle.

When you look at the log excerpts it explains pretty well what happened but not why and how to resolve it.

Surely the servers name would not be zero string and the IP resulting got to be 0.0.0.0 .

So how could the server name get lost? And how could I restore it?

whiller123
Super User

I am having exactly the same problem as of 01/08/2012.

I have spoken th BT suupport who tell me that they no longer support content screening! they also say that the firmware on the HGV 2700-2701 should upgrade and remove the content screening options. (backward step I feel).

This said I have the business hub running on a few client sites and & the content screening is working on all but one of these hubs.

I am not quite sure what is going on as I would think if BT has stopped offering this feature it would stop working on all of these business hubs

Regards

Rob

garyhancock

I have a 2Wire 2701HGV-C  and have exact same issue as of 1st of August 2012 (Yesterday )

Can anyone from BT clarify the situation.

whiller123
Super User

A quick update to my previous post!

All of the clients that I support that use this content screening on the business hub are now experiencing the same issue! 

5 in total 

4 x HGV 2701  1 X HGV2700

This is a big issue for me now despite remote access, it is going to be a busy day!

CAN BT THROW ANY MORE LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE PLEASE?

KeithB

I'm also having the same problem. Cannot connect to the rating server. Tried a factory reset, but still have the same problem.

Model: BT2700HGV

Hardware Version: 2701-100589-005

Firmware Version 6.3.9.63-plus.tm

This firmware version that was "pushed" out to us last Christmas, did NOT remove content screening for me, at least, although it did remove the Fusion SSID.

If BT are discontinuing support for content screening on this hub, shouldn't they replace the hub?

Keith.

whiller123
Super User

I have some worse news for you Keith

The latest so called business hub (which looks suspiciously like the new home hub) does not have the content screening feature, the only access control in that one is on a time schedule basis.

I have set up several of them in businesses & homes.

It is a poorly made cheap affair!

Rob

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

You would probably be better with some form of add-on for your browser that blocks scripts, for example NoScript for Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/&sa=U&ei=X5UaUI2COqbI0QXgwoHQDA&ved=0CBIQFjA...

Dave

@bombinho wrote:

Well the screen I am getting is definitely the Business Hubs Screen. And I do not use any other content filters.

Now these content filters are incredibly handy not only for children. An incredible lot of unwanted advertisements

and popups are getting blocked before they even get into the network and ensure a much better workflow rather

having to click away dozens of popups and what not everytime you open a web page.

As much as it filters by nature a lot of driveby's as well.

So I really would not want to switch it of permanently.

Just since today it blocks pretty much everything I have not manually allowed in the specific group.

Including Google and Oracle.

bombinho
Super User

DaveA could you please give me a description how I do that on various Blackberry devices?

Or other non PCs?

And what impact is that doing on netbooks with a single core Atom in wireless mode?

And why have I to start installing new browsers on all my devices?

Any thought spend on the general impact of this?

I am pretty sure we can make roads a lot better by just giving every driver a list where to behave in what manner. No unsightly road signs anymore. And an incredible amount of money saved by not needing to put up the signs and maintain them. /sarcasm