cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crappy upload speeds

angusglover

I have reported a fault to BT as I am getting very poor video call quality. My D\L speed on Speedtest.net is 20mb. My U/L is 0.7-0.9mb.

BT asked me to use their own tool at speedtest.btwholesale.com and it comes up with 3.5mb, but when you run the further diagnostics link it shows only 2.2mb. 

None of the independent speedtest pages show anything closew to that. 

If I get an engineer out and he just does this test, then from BT side there is no fault found and I get a £245 charge and still have the same crap upload speeds. This is a common issue, what have others done?

2 REPLIES 2

angusglover

RyanJames
BT Employee
BT Employee

Hi Anguslover

In regards to the upload it would depend on your package. If you are using copper broadband the maximum you would ever expect for the upload would be up to 1Mb/s. On fibreoptic broadband, depending on the location of the line, you could potentially get up to 20Mb/s.

I am going to assume you are on copper just now? If not, it may be worth getting back in touch with our faults team on 0800 800 154 and they can get the line tested for you to make sure there is no fault (by the sounds of it you have already been through this as you have been quoted engineering charges, but they will also confirm what tupe of line you have and what your maxumum attainable upload should be and they can also facilitate an upgrade if necessary).

Regards

Ryan