cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Resolution Error

xdavid

BT Business Hub 5, software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.200

In a previous Business Hub router it was possible via DNS Resolution page to set a hostname such as server.example.com to a LAN IP address. In the above Hub, this no longer works but the errors given suggest a bug in the router software.

Adding hostname in Advanced Settings -> Broadband -> DNS Resolution, results in a “DNS Name Error” pop-up...

error1.png

Adding the hostname to the device via Advanced Settings -> Business Network -> Devices (by clicking the device in question), results in similar “Business Network Name” error pop-up...

error2.png

With some testing, only single word hostnames could be saved. But I need to save a fully qualified hostname. E.g.,  server.example.com.  I confirm that the character rules stated in the error message are being complied with.

Anyone confirm same problem or offer a fix?

2 REPLIES 2

xdavid

I just noticed the original post didn't display the error boxes.

Error box 1...

error1.png

Error box 2...

error2.png

xdavid

Ok, I just re-read the error messages and they don't mention the period "." as a permitted character in the hostname. Why I didn't see that the first time, I'll put down to tiredness (as good an excuse as I can think off)

So it appears that unlike the previous hub, which DID allow fully qualified hostnames to be used in the DNS Resolution page, the new Hub 5 doesn't.

Oh well. Looks like a local DNS server is now required. Unless someone has another idea for getting laptops to go direct to the LAN servers when fully qualified domain names are used to locate them (required when laptop is outside the LAN).