cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dongle Connection to Router

chrissharp

I am having a problem connecting my dongle to the router. We have a BT wireless router and one computer running off it via cable.

We have a second computer in the office which we want to run from the wireless router.

On the advice of our computer technician, we bought a dongle and have programmed the computer with the CD that came with it. It seems to be finding the router and is asking for an encryption code in order for it to connect.

How do we obtain that encryption code, and can you offer us any advice?

We have tried every number that is printed on the router, but all to no avail.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

g3zdm

It wants you to enter the WPA "key" (wireless code/password) which should indeed be printed on the router as a "wireless code" or "wireless key". The little handbook that came with the router also tells you where to locate the code.

I remeber doing this a couple of months ago to set up my parents' Home Hub 2.

There should also be instructions on the BT Broadband website.

g3zdm

See also this thread :

http://btb.lithium.com/t5/Broadband-and-internet/My-WEP-Key/td-p/14158

It could be a WEP key or a WPA key (WPA is more modern and secure encryption than WEP).

kendalton

I am connected to btinternet at home on my desktop pc. I also have a laptop and would like to connect to the same, btinternet.

Which Dongle is the best for this purpose ?

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

Laptrops generally have WiFi built in so no need for a seperate dongle.  Left click the wireless icon down beside your clock and connect to the router that way.  Security key should be on a label on the router.

Thanks

kendalton

Thanks Spank ....... Ken