cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Slow upload speed

argonaut1969

Hi, wonder if anyone can assist me?

I had FTTC 40/10 Business infinity installed in November, it took over 1 month after my ADSL line was switched for me to receive a service as my account had not been set up correctly, thus reslting in me having no service for 1 month!

however that is not my issue

eventually when my home hub5 turned up i plugged it in and the modem sync speeds were 12mbps DL and 450kbps UL

my estimated speeds for my line when i purchased were 

FTTC Range B = 22 to 10.4 DL and 5.2 to 1.9 UL

So i am getting DL (12mbps) which is within the range, although at the low end 😞

however my upload is only 450kbps

I had one openreach engineer visit and he came connected his jdsu and ran some line quality tests, these failed 3 times and after 3 times he said he just need to report it failed and leave site.

i convinced him to see if he can get a line sync rate on his JDSU which he did and the results were 15mps DL and 1.3mbps UL

however the HH5 is only getting an UL of 450kbps

I then rang BT and they arrange for another engineer to visit (this time a broadband boost engineer)

He ran line tests and found i had another spare pair which tested better and so he went to the cabinet and switched the pairs around 🙂 

he ran a test and there was a negligable improvement as the UL went to 520kbps ( any improvement is worht it!)

still the UL is my issue

i have purchased a Vigor 130 modem and installed that and my UL has increased to 650kbps which is an increase

so there seems to be a different UL speed depending on whether i have the HHUB5 installed or my Vigor130

What i would like to know is why can i not get my modem to sync at the same speed (give or take 10-20%) of the JDSU sync speeds?

Prior to FTTC i had to have bonded DSL which consisted of 4 lines bonded and with that i achieved 12mbps DL and 2mbps UL. Admitedly at a cost of approx £400 per month

as you can see i need to reduce the cost of my broadband and FTTC gives me an acceptable DL speed, but the Upload is not good enougth. I would love to get close to the 1.3mbps UL speed that the jdsu reads

anyone shed any light on if i can install a different modem to try and reach the JDSU UL speed? putting vigor 130 has increased so perhaps there is another that will?

i know i am never going to get much better and will happily settle for 10 to 13mbps DL and 1 to 2mbps UL

my house is 1.4km from the Cabinet

i am not sure about profiles and how they work on FTTC? could my upload be restricted in anyway? how can i get the profile reset if that could enable me to try finding the best sync speeds again

Please note all speeds are modem sync speeds , not speeds done via speedtest websites,

apprecaite any help

4 REPLIES 4

argonaut1969
So I had a fault open with BT and it has been closed without anyone checking with me after the engineer visited!

Crap service from BT!!!!

Can't believe they just close the call

I guess it so they can hit statistics on their help des
My service is still crap

Burkem5
Guru

Hi there @argonaut1969 

I am really sorry that this fault was closed down without your notice there.   
We should have contacted you to make sure that the issue was fixed.

Normally when an engineer comes out they go via the test socket and plug in the JDSU there.

Now with Fibre it *shouldn't* really make a difference which socket you are plugged into but as the engineers JDSU is getting a better result that either our router or the Vigor it may be worth while moving into the test socket to see if the speed improves.

You should have the Fibre Socket shown here 

If you remove the front plate you will see this

You can then remove the middle plate like so

Then plug the router into a filter and the filter into the test socket.

If you have better speeds there then the issue was that you had a large amount of interference on site either in the internal wiring or on equipment plugged into the internal wiring.  

This interference overwhelms the bell filter built into the faceplate,  it may be worth then re assembling the socket and then removing everything on that line bar the router.

If the speed holds then plug one device in at a time and monitor this for a period of 30 minutes to see if this brings down the line speed.

When the speed goes down you know that the issue is either with the extension this is plugged into or the device plugged in.

Hope this helps 

Burkem5

argonaut1969

for anyone who is interested after speaking in person with Burkem5 he kindly arranged for an engineer to visit.

I had done as suggested above and have no extensions on my line, an MK3 socket from Openreach. and have tried 2 x hub5 and 1 x open reach modem.

Lets hope the engineer looks at my line quality etc

i am at propert No.5 and a neighbour at No.8 has sync speed of 39.06Mbps Down and 7.346Mbps up

if only can get a little more!

The engineers visit is today

fingers crossed this engineer will check my line quality.

i really hope they can help me

i must say i was very impressed with Burkem5 top customer sevice indeed!

argonaut1969

Update..

engineer visited and and tan line tests again with jdsu

tests showed amber status which engineer said they ignore and only act in red

surely Amber means there is something wrong?!?

anyhow his sync speed was higher as well meaning the BT hub that has been provided and the Openreach modem are not syncing at the same speeds the jdsu engineer test tools do.

problem is that Openreach say speed to property is x based on their kit.

however that is crazy if the Openreach provided modem can not sync at the speed the engineer gets then they should not say speed to property is x as per jdsu. The speed is actually less as per the Openreach provided modem!!!

it turns out the neighbour at no.5 comes from a different DP which is approx 400 meters shorter distance than mine and hence he gets 40Mbps DL and 10Mbps UL

the engineer was very good as he looked at neighbouring properties that come of same DP. Apparently they are getting 17Mbps DL and they are 100m closer than me so the extra 100M is causing the loss from 17 at theirs to 10 at mine.

also I am not allowed to be fed for a closer DP as of on rules don't allow it. Shame as it would help.

engineer did advise that there are plans to run fibre to secondary cabinets , but no timescales, this would help massively for me as the secondary cabinet is 400M approx away rather than 1.4km to the primary cab.

however based on the fact I have only just had fibre in the area as of December I expect it will be 5 to 10 years before secondary can is upgraded.

also I asked if the cable can be upgraded to a larger CSA (cross sectional area) the thickness of the copper to the property. Again he said of on rules are they can't request it.

A previous engineer told me that for telephone lines in the past they used to put double the CSA cable in for long runs

seems I am stuck with what I am stuck with

i guess my big bear is the Openreach say I can get 15Mbps DL and 1.3MBps UL

but I can't not even with the modem they provide badged openreach

please note when I talk about speed I am talking about line sync speed and not throughput!

lets see what BT now say when Openreach report back, hopefully the call won't just be closed without talking to me

fingers crosssed