cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband

HitmanAlan

I live in Ash Priors served by Cabinet 9 and for the past 6 years have used Sky for telephone and broadband. 

I signed up for a BT Business line in 10/18 and don't mind paying the additional £20.00 pm to receive a better service offered by BT.

I would like to know when Fibre Broadband [or G Fast] is arriving in Ash Priors?  Just 1 mile to the east of my house, in Bishops Lydeard, they have fibre and 1 mile to the southwest from my house [Halse] they also have fibre.

I have consistently been told that Cabinet 9, located on Ash Priors Common, cannot be upgraded because the new fibre cabinet needs a power supply - which BT will not pay for.  There is an electricity pole less than 100 metres from Cabinet 9 and it cannot be right that we are surrounded like Custer's Last Stand by villages who all have fibre except us.

With an average download speed of  8.5 Mbps could BT tell me, as a business customer, when fibre or G Fast is going to come to the village please? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bobby
Super User

Hey HitmanAlan,

Fibre availability isn't something that's controlled by BT I'm afraid - those installations and network changes are carried out by Openreach and are often impacted by third-party issues and require third-party authorisation, such as local council approval, which explains why it's available in some areas but not in others, even close-by. If it's not cost effective/profitable then it's not a priority. 

You can register interest in fibre via Openreach by using the link that I've provided below. Enter your post code and register your details to hear back with more information when it becomes available. 

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre

Thank you, Bobby

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Bobby
Super User

Hey HitmanAlan,

Fibre availability isn't something that's controlled by BT I'm afraid - those installations and network changes are carried out by Openreach and are often impacted by third-party issues and require third-party authorisation, such as local council approval, which explains why it's available in some areas but not in others, even close-by. If it's not cost effective/profitable then it's not a priority. 

You can register interest in fibre via Openreach by using the link that I've provided below. Enter your post code and register your details to hear back with more information when it becomes available. 

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre

Thank you, Bobby

HitmanAlan

Hey Bobby,

Thank you very much for your reply; much appreciated.

I guess I'm not the only one who sees an Openreach van, with the letters BT next to it and assume that they are one of the same.  I now know that they are separate companies but if that is the case then they should make that clear by removing the word BT on the Openreach vans.  I knew that the council was involved but it is just so frustrating that we are the only village not to have fibre when clearly politics are at play.

Most of the village registered their interest some time ago but I guess it is just a waiting game.  We even thought about paying for the power supply ourselves but for what we pay BT it doesn't seem fair. 

Best regards

Alan

Bobby
Super User

Hey HitmanAlan,

I understand the confusion! I believe some changes have recently been made to the companies and the 'BT' part of 'BT Openreach' that you see/hear should shortly be removed. That will help with clarity as it's not uncommon to associate the two companies as one 🙂

It's definitely frustrating when others in the area are benefiting from faster speeds but you're not, while paying the same price. Fingers crossed that fibre becomes available to you shortly.

Thanks, Bobby

Janiece3298

Fibre availability isn't something that's controlled by BT I'm afraid - those installations and network changes are carried out by Openreach and are often impacted by third-party issues and require third-party authorisation, such as local council approval, which explains why it's available in some areas but not in others, even close-by. If it's not cost effective/profitable then it's not a priority