cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Size Capping

Sev

Hi,

Since sunday I have been trying to download a major system upgrade for my computer network.

The file size is 3.5GB, and it kept showing an error and wouldn't dowload.

After much trawling on the internet I read that the 2700hgv Business Hub will not allow file sizes of over 2gb !?!

er... sorry but I beg your pardon!

I have to deal at times with detailed three dimensional design documents and these include large data files in excess of 2GB. 

What am I to do, and more importantly what do BT suggest. Is there a firmware to update or a new router to request?

This will ultimately be a sad mark on what up to now has been a superb internet service.

17 REPLIES 17

zzZZzz
Power User

What is the firmware version in your hub?

Settings > System Info > Summary

I just noticed my 2700HGV was updated with newer BT firmware this morning.  I haven't previously had problems downloading files bigger than 2GB but nothing as big as 3.5GB.  I've not yet tried downloading a 2+GB file since this new BT firmware upgrade.

fwiw, I also have a 2701HGV-C and it refuses to download any file bigger than 2GB.   This seems to be a known problem.

MHC
Guru

bits or Bytes ?

The 2701 will deal with files of 2.5 Gb equivalent to about 300MB   but not 2.5GB

Please, use teh correct abbreviations -  b - bits;   B - Bytes; 

zzZZzz
Power User

ok. my earlier post corrected re. Gb vs GB.

For example, I can't download a file that is 2.38GB  (2,564,476,928 bytes reported in Windows) using 2701HGV-C.  I had to use my spare 2700HGV to get this file.

It would be more helpful if BT/2wire removed this cap (bug?) from the firmware in the 2701HGV-C.

MHC
Guru

@zzZZzz wrote:

ok. my earlier post corrected re. Gb vs GB.

For example, I can't download a file that is 2.38GB  (2,564,476,928 bytes reported in Windows) using 2701HGV-C.  I had to use my spare 2700HGV to get this file.

It would be more helpful if BT/2wire removed this cap (bug?) from the firmware in the 2701HGV-C.

What is the firmware in the 2700?

As the OP says, the 2700 has a problem with large files and there are already threads about it but it seems as though the update may have resolved it.

If te 2701 uses the same core software (and I believe it does) then there could be the same problem and hopefully the update will be implemented in the 2701s too.

zzZZzz
Power User

I just successfully completed a download of a 2.59GB file using the 2700HGV hub which was updated to BT v6.3.9.63-plus.tm earlier this morning.  

My 2701HGV-C hub has slightly older BT v6.3.9.41-plus.tm which won't let me download files bigger than 2GB in size.

Sev

Hi, thanks for the replies,

Here are the details of my Business Hub:

Model:2701HGV-C
Hardware Version:2701-100630-008
Firmware Version:6.3.9.41-plus.tm

So In essence I cannot download anything bigger than 2GB! 

That is very upsetting! I'll have to embarassingly instruct people with large data files to stick it on a cd and post it to me.

I need the capacity for big file sizes and data transmittals, and whilst the frequencies are rare, I need the facility.

Is there a firmware fix? or is this it?

Please don't tell me i've got to use the DG834 Netgear router i've mothballed!

So my next question, obviously BT are aware of this little 'quirk'. How and what are they doing to rectify it? (and pointing me to the online shop is not the right answer!)

My BT Business installation is barely three months old - do I ring and request a replacement or do I just deal with it?

MHC
Guru

You actually have a 2701 - going by the firmware.

From the other posts a 2700 v6 will support the larger files when the firmware is at V6.3.9.63-plus.tm

My suggestion is get onto support and tell them what your problem is and that you know the 2700 will support the larger files,  and insist that they send one out to you.   Don't take a "we have not got any, they are all 2701" type answer.   Then, when you get it contact support and insist they push the latest firmware out to the device.

If they cannot supply one, and I will be surprised if they cannot, buy a new unused one from ebay for about £5 ... and get teh firmware upgrade.   You can use the 2701 as an additional wireless access point or for additional etnernet connectivity.

zzZZzz
Power User

fwiw, there is more information about the 2GB file download issue described here.   I find it amusing that it quotes a 2701HGV-C connected to TalkTalk broadband will download files bigger than 2GB Smiley Very Happy

Adding to MHC's suggestion, if you do have to resort to sourcing a new 2700HGV off eBay, if you want one that can eventually be upgraded to v6.3.9.63, It may be wise to find one which was made in 2010 (or last months of 2009?) and will hopefully have the 'current' BT v6.1.1.48.1 firmware according info on this page.   Anything before v6.1.1.48.1 possibly may not be upgradable to v6.3.9.63 firmware according to this page.

Sev

Right, just got off the phone to BT and here goes, yes the 2701 does indeed have issues and won't download over 2GB files, he didn't really know what to say when I told him that talktalk is uncapped.

I asked about the 2700, and again, he said that it's now a dleted model and any tech issues with them, they send out a 2701 as repalcement.  He didn't mention about firmware upgrade at all.

He suggested that I bought my own third party router, and BT would reimburse the cost of the router.

I have a netgear dg834 which I might use and see how that goes first.

I just need to get it all in writing so i'm going to back it up with an email first before I do anything.

As it goes, I use the router as a bridge to my wireless NAS unit, so my real requirement is for a very stable and quick wired solution.