cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Size Capping

Sev

Hi,

Since sunday I have been trying to download a major system upgrade for my computer network.

The file size is 3.5GB, and it kept showing an error and wouldn't dowload.

After much trawling on the internet I read that the 2700hgv Business Hub will not allow file sizes of over 2gb !?!

er... sorry but I beg your pardon!

I have to deal at times with detailed three dimensional design documents and these include large data files in excess of 2GB. 

What am I to do, and more importantly what do BT suggest. Is there a firmware to update or a new router to request?

This will ultimately be a sad mark on what up to now has been a superb internet service.

17 REPLIES 17

OldWolf
Guru

Hi,

There's one thing you have to bear in mind here when talking about 2-Wire routers - They don't all use native firmware.

BT have done a lot of tinkering with the original firmware, I believe to the point where it's almost totally different to what you would find on a router that was dealt with by 2-Wire themselves over the same period.

It's likely that something has been changed in the BT-based version that has affected downloads, but obviously it didn't affect non-BT 2-Wires because the changes were never made in them.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Dave A

Sev

So in essence, BT have a duty to rectify this asap - especially as they're pumping these out as a replacement for something which on the surface was fit for purpose.

MHC
Guru

@OldWolf wrote:

Hi,

There's one thing you have to bear in mind here when talking about 2-Wire routers - They don't all use native firmware.

BT have done a lot of tinkering with the original firmware,

The changes are actually made by 2wire and not BT.    Almost every implementation of the 2700 has a Telco specific software build to include or exclude functionallity such as Openzone/Fusion, wirelss channels, and access to configuation pages.

zzZZzz
Power User

Looks like this unofficial page has been updated today with a workaround to the 2+GB file download problem by removing Content Screening & Access Controls.  I'm about to try it on my 2701HGV-C.

Update: the workaround works for my hub.  Mine has 4201-003004-001 printed on the label located on the rear of the hub.

OldWolf
Guru
Heya,

I suppose tinkering is probably too strong a word, as it implies going right into the nuts and bolts, but you know what I mean.

Also while 2-Wire will probably have made the changes on behalf of BT, it was BT who probably made all the calls on what was to be done.

I have heard tell that 2-Wire won't directly support the BT version of the 2-Wire, although that was a long time ago according to Jonesy.

Cheers.

Dave A

@MHC wrote:

@OldWolf wrote:

Hi,

BT have done a lot of tinkering with the original firmware,

The changes are actually made by 2wire and not BT.    Almost every implementation of the 2700 has a Telco specific software build to include or exclude functionallity such as Openzone/Fusion, wirelss channels, and access to configuation pages.

MHC
Guru

deleted

MHC
Guru

I believe my 2701 hub has been upgraded overnight to 6.3.9.63-plus.tm

Sev

Well, here we go again.

I tried to download a large disc ISO file 4.3GB from a customer this evening and lo and behold the router blocked the file.

I ended up once again having to look like a complete incompetent in the eyes of my customer as I asked him bear with me whilst I switched my router for a 10 year old netgear that could do the job.  Really not impressed.

So my router is showing the following:

2701HGV-C

Hardware: 2701-100630-008

Firmware: 6.3.9.63-plus.tm

So I suppose my question is this, since the BT router is not fit for intended purpose, I'm going to relegate it to a wireless extender if it can manage it. 

I was going to upgrade to infinity but I think i'll hold off if they're going to plug it into this bag of junk.  And the whole point of all this was to avoid the tech support going down the road of "Well sir, if you will use unsupported hardware your porblem must lie there, as there's nothing wrong with our stuff" scenario.

If I keep my aged DG834 as my router, will it be possible for me to use the 2701 as a range extender, and if so how does one configure it?

I saw a previous post where a user was doing it the other way around.

Many thanks in advance.