MAndrewartha

How can I use a Business Hub 3 as a repeater?

Hi there

I have 2 Business Hub 3s and I have been investigating how to use one of them as a repeater in an area where I have a wifi deadspot.  The slave hub can be connected to the master via homeplug/ethernet.  I have been searching for methods to do this but struggled to find anything specific to the Business Hub 3.  

I have followed instructions for doing this with a Home Hub 3 but this did not appear to be succesful.  I did manage to gain an internet connection to the slave if the laptop was connected by an ethernet cable in one of the slaves ports.  However i could not get devices to connect via wifi.  A laptop connected once via wifi but has never picked it up again.  IPhones and and an iPad have never successfully connected.

Am I doing something wrong or am I trying to achieve the unachievable?

Any help would be appreciated.  I am new to this forum so I apologise in advance for errors in etiquette.

Master User
adrianc

Re: How can I use a Business Hub 3 as a repeater?

Hi,

First off - welcome to the forum. :smileyhappy:

It doesn't sound like you're trying to achieve the impossible - there's a couple of ways you could achieve it. The easiest would be to put the second Hub 3 into bridge mode - this turns off all the 'router functions' and makes it basically a 'dumb' hub.

You do this (from memory) by going into the user interface: Settings > Advanced Settings > Broadband > Routing and chosing bridged mode. I'm not near my business hub at the moment to double check that navigation.

Once it's in bridge mode then plug the homeplug into one of the 4 yellow Ethernet ports and any wireless devices that associate with the second should be able to see the first one and the Internet.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

MAndrewartha

[ Edited ]

Hi Adrian

Thanks very much for getting back to me.

I have tried this but I am still getting the same problem.  i.e. the 2nd "slave" hub is successfully connecting to the internet but only if I connect the laptop to the hub via ethernet.  If I try to connect via wifi the connection comes up as "local only" but without internet.  If I try connecting an Apple device via wifi it just whirls around and does not connect.  Any ideas?

Thanks again for your help.

Master User
adrianc

Hi,

So to claify you have a setup like this:

Hub3A ---- ethernet cable ---- homeplug------ .... -----homeplug ----ethernet cable (into yellow port)----hub 3B

Hub 3A (main) is in full router mode, and Hub 3(slave) is in bridge mode.

Is are the two hubs using the same SSID/key, or are the main and slave wifi networks different? I think for this setup to work, the two networks would need to be different. I'll give this a try later on and see how I get on with it.

Adrian

MAndrewartha

Hi Adrian
That set up is correct. The 2 hubs are running different SSID/key.
As mentioned, I am getting Internet into the hub as I can connect to the Internet via an Ethernet cable into the back of slave hub. The problem is connecting to the slave via wifi.
Thanks for your continued support. It would be great if I could get this sorted!!
MAndrewartha

Could I please enquire if there is any update on this or further suggestions as I am still eagerly seeking a solution?

swdys05

Would it be possible to use this exact configuration if I use the same SSID and wireless key for both hubs?

travelhigh

I have a similar set up but use a 2701HGV-C and Hub 3 with the Hub 3 in bridging mode.  Been very successful and overcomes the packet handling issues of the Hub 3 for VPN's and Vodafone.  The 2701 is the router/dns/dhcp.  Wireless with two different SSID's works fine but if moving between zones quickly the 2701 does throw a tantrum at having the same device appear in  a short time period through 2 different ports (wireless and the wired to Hub 3 wireless)  at times and whichever device is attempting the wireless connection needs to disconnect from both wireless completely for a minute and then reconnect then all ok.

Keeping fingers crossed there is a update / upgrade for the Hub 3 soon to overcome the multi port issues of the 2701HGV-C and the VPN issues of the Hub 3