cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I completely turn off WIFI?

revsorg

I have a BT Business Hub router which includes wireless that I want to turn off for 2 reasons:

- I only want a wired connection to our PCs.  I have a couple of TalkTalk lines that I use for Wifi.  This is a security consideration - I don't want anyone hacking into our network from outside our premises.

- If someone logs in to our router using BT Openzone, will they be using my IP address, and if they do some kind of illegal file sharing will I get a letter in a years time from ACS:Law threatening to take me to court for £10,000 if I don't pay them £500?

Please can you tell me how to turn off WIFI completely.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dave
Guru

I don't think ACS:Law will be threatening anyone for a while, given the recent goings-on surrounding them.

Nevertheless, you can turn off the wifi by going into the interface (usually http://192.168.1.254 in a browser) and clicking on the wireless tab and removing the tick from the checkbox 'enable wireless interface'.

Then save the changes

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

dave
Guru

I don't think ACS:Law will be threatening anyone for a while, given the recent goings-on surrounding them.

Nevertheless, you can turn off the wifi by going into the interface (usually http://192.168.1.254 in a browser) and clicking on the wireless tab and removing the tick from the checkbox 'enable wireless interface'.

Then save the changes

revsorg

Thanks Dave - I have turned WIFI off now.

I would love to believe that ACS:Law have gone out of business but there is evidence that even now they are sending out threatening letters every day.

adrianc
Master User

"If someone logs in to our router using BT Openzone, will they be using my IP address"

Actually, they won't. The Openzone traffic is tunneled directly to BT and appears to all the world to have originated from their servers. There is no way that ACS (or anyone else) can see your IP address.