cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my broadband cable moved to another room - what would the charge be from BT/AN Other

haydens

Basically I want my broadband moved to another room and need an engineer to do it - how much does BT usually charge?

Thankyou

HMS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JohnE
Guru

Business Sales ought to be able to quote you for a fitted extension to your phone line, they can be contacted on 0800 800 152.

However, we don't recommend connecting your broadband router to an extension, even if this is supplied and fitted by BT, this can compromise broadband performance.  Where possible, the router/Business Hub should be connected directly to the Master Socket.

Much better to extend to the other room via a network cable.  Ethernet cable runs can be quite long before you start losing performance.  You could also investigate using Powerline Networking, which uses the mains circuit to carry the signal, similar in technology to those baby monitors you plug into the mains, although much more sophisticated.  That way, your broadband router can remain where it is and the broadband network can be extended out to whichever rooms within your premises you wish.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JohnE
Guru

Business Sales ought to be able to quote you for a fitted extension to your phone line, they can be contacted on 0800 800 152.

However, we don't recommend connecting your broadband router to an extension, even if this is supplied and fitted by BT, this can compromise broadband performance.  Where possible, the router/Business Hub should be connected directly to the Master Socket.

Much better to extend to the other room via a network cable.  Ethernet cable runs can be quite long before you start losing performance.  You could also investigate using Powerline Networking, which uses the mains circuit to carry the signal, similar in technology to those baby monitors you plug into the mains, although much more sophisticated.  That way, your broadband router can remain where it is and the broadband network can be extended out to whichever rooms within your premises you wish.

bsmitheng

the powerline only works if on the same ring and the distance is not too great from the hub. we bought a netgear extender kit and its not great over any kind of distance. we wanted our router set up in another room so got an electrian to run the line to the designated room. bt engineer who set up our second line said that its not a problem to do it like that. router now where we wnat it and working great.