cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set the device name of a server on our business network to its FQDN?

Trismegister

A new restriction seems to have been applied on the latest firmware / software for BT Business Hub 5 that is preventing several services from working as before (Kerberos server discovery; OS X Caching Server discovery) on the local network as these services are accessed by their Fully Qualified Domain Names (FQDN)

Previously I was able to name a Device on the Business Network by its FQDN (e.g. leo.misfits-server.net) 

Now, however, (BT Business Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.230 | Last updated 29/07/16) attempts to do so result in "The Home network name must start with a letter, end with a letter or digit, and contain only letters, digits and hyphens(-)"

I do have an existing server on the network whose Device / Network name the hub shows as its FQDN - so obviously I have been able to do this in the past . But no longer apparently.

Is there a solution to this?

1 REPLY 1

Trismegister

Now pretty sure that this issue is not actually related to the Kerberos and OS X Cacheing Service issues I mentioned .... however things have changed in the latest firmware ... and would still like to know why we cannot name a hub-connected device by its FDQN as addresses on the internet via its Static IP number.