cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i know if my line has been reset?

MikeJamesGate

So i contacted BT on friday and they said they had issued a line reset and i should see a speed increase within 3-5 days. Last time they did this it worked perfectly, i could go into my router and see my downstream rate changing constantly. But this time my downstream has been stuck firmly on 800kbs it hasnt budged at all. Any ideads on how to change it? 

3 REPLIES 3

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

The line speed or sync rate is controlled by something at the exchange called the 'dynamic link manager' or DLM.  This is responsible for keeping your line at a speed it can handle.  Doing a 'reset on the line' is resetting the DLM and allowing it to begin it's stabalisation process again, as well as allowing a forcible change to signal to noise margins.

The line speed will be faster after a reset, but if there is a problem with the line and drops occur then the DLM will kick in and reduce your speed again.  Being 'dynamic' The DLM can override settings automatically, even if someone has reset it and modified the SNR forcibly.

It goes both ways though, for example; if you are using a faulty extension and move direct to the main socket then the line fault will be rectified allowing the DLM to increase the line speed automatically.

The trick is not to focus on using a reset to increase your speed but find out what's causing the DLM to initiate the drop in the first place.

You should always be in the test socket after a reset, if you weren't then I suggest you try and give it a couple of days.  If the speed doesn't improve then stay in the test socket and request another reset then monitor for another couple of days.  If it looks good then your problem was internal and you should start looking at what the router was plugged into before you got it into the test socket.

Have you also checked to make sure your line is capable of the speed you want?  Check it here.

Every line has a fault threshold and if yours is going below that then a fault will need to be raised and treated as such.

Thanks

MikeJamesGate

I've been in the test socket for about 3 weeks. My current speed is 0.48Mbps, But i have had 0.73Mbps since about 2009. And once or twice a year my speed drops to the 0.48Mbps (generally after it disconects). Like you said i should see my Downstream changing, but it is stuck on 800kbs. Last time i got a reset i could see it chaning from like 700kbs-1000kbs and it eventually stayed on 928kbs. According to Bt website i dont have any faults on my line

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

Line speeds will fluctuate and yours is obviously quite long so I can't really say that what you're experiencing is unusual.

If you think it's the line then the only option you have is to request an engineer and accept potential charges.