cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 WiFi dropping........

miniblob

Anyone else on here got problems with the Hub 5???

I have the business hub 5 - which is the same as the home hub 5, just with very slightly different software.

Amongst other issues with the hub, the WiFi would appear to be useless and just keeps dropping!!!

I'm wondering how many people on here have got that issue and if it is enough to make BT realise it's rubbish and either release an update/new firmware, or replace the hardware with something that works!!!!!

As usual, BT don't seem at all interested when I try and complain about this.

'They don't guarantee WiFi' and obviously, it must be my fault, must be something in my premises causing the issues!!!

2 REPLIES 2

spank
Grand Guru

I had a homehub 5 and watch a lot of netflix.  Never had a problem until one afternoon my sister in law came in with her old samsung mobile and connected to my wifi.  Netflix failed and I couldn't watch it.  Wifi remained up on the PC but no throughput.  Restarted the router and it was fine for 10 minutes then went off again.  Thankfully she eventually left and everything was fine.

There isn't much in the way of settings where wireless is concerned so not much I could do but change security type, reset the hub, try different channels etc

She came back a few day later and the same thing happened so I reported it and got a new HUB for free.  There's not much the helpdesk can do and it's true; no manufacturer on earth can guarantee that every piece of connectible kit will be compatible.  Anyway the same thing happened with the new HUB.

I swapped to a belkin and all was ok.  However it didn't like my powerline adapters and I had to buy new ones.

These are conditions I almost expect when mixing and matching different technologies, not everything is 100% compatible but where to place blame is normally the next question.  But where electronics are concerned, without knowledge on how the circuitry works on both devices or how to test it I can only follow a logical process of elimination.  I can't actually blame either of these devices until I fully understand the problem.

Was it her phone interfering with my hub?  Since everything else in the house worked fine until she arrived or do I blame the HUB for acting differently when connected to a device that's it's never connected to before.  Is it a compatibility issue between the two and who should be responsible for fixing it?

Searching the forums there are people complaining about it but with BT having millions of customers there isn't exactly plethora of users complaining and most forum posts just veer off into complaints without anyone posting much in the way of useful info.

I can't really truthfully expect BT to be able to fix this.  They would need to take the phone and the router into a test environment and probably hook it up to an oscilliscope and have experts diagnose and analyse the data.....realistically this is never going to happen unless the whole customer base using this hub had an issue.

So I had to figure it out myself and if that meant buying additional kit then so be it.  I also now had 2 home hubs that work fine as access points.

Sometimes you need to know when to take matters into your own hands.  My network is now fine.

dice

I too have this issue. Except I just cannot connect mobile devices, full stop. This is broadly over Apple and Android devices. I suffer very frequent internet drops (ethernet also, not just wifi). Pretty frustrating for a business with a VOIP setup.

As above, I'm in the process of setting up my own hardware.