cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub, Line, or Both?

Broadbandwagon

Folks,

I've just taken over management of IT which includes a BT Business Broadband 2700HGV. I've been in telecomms since 1994, so have a good knowledge of voice systems and architecture.

Our place has a history of slow, non-operating broadband.  At its best, we get 8MB down.  This morning we were crawling at 0.5 - 1.5

A recent look at the hubs connectivity data revealed the following, shortly after a last-ditch reset in order to try and get us back on the air:-

DSL Unavailable Seconds:             178         178         0              0:23:37

DSL Link Errors

Collected for 0:26:36

Since     Current                Current                Time Since

Reset    24-hr int.              15-min int.          Last Event

ATM

Last Event

Cell Header Errors            8              8              5              0:00:06

Loss of cell Delineation  0              0              0              0:00:00

DSL

Link Retrains:                     0              0              0              0:00:00

DSL Training Errors:            4              4              0              0:23:56

Training Timeouts:             0              0              0              0:00:00

Loss of Framing Failures:      0              0              0              0:00:00

Loss of Signal Failures:         0              0              0              0:00:00

Loss of Power Failures:        0              0              0              0:00:00

Loss of Margin Failures:        0              0              0              0:00:00

**bleep**. Seconds w/Errors:      6              6              3              0:00:06

**bleep**. Sec. w/Severe Errors:                0              0              0:00:00

Corrected Blocks:               65           65            45              0:00:00

Uncorrectable Blocks:         8              8              5              0:00:06

Does the prevalence of corrected/uncorrected blocks point to line issues?  Likewise, the training errors?

Based on the product code, 4201-003003--008, this hub dates from late 2007, and there have been revisions of firmware since then.

Are BT happy to upgrade to the latest hub, particularly since their service is running over aluminium cables in the vicinity, and we've had far from perfect service for some time.

r

2 REPLIES 2

MHC
Guru

I would not be too worried about the errors - not excessive and every line has some.

What would be more interesting would be your line stats - Sync speeeds, SNR margins &c and possibly the Sync history page.

Can you get a copy of Router Stats Lite (free) and run that for a day creating a plot of Sync and SNR at 1 minute intervals.

Broadbandwagon

Many thanks.  My tame IT advisor, who runs his own server, guru in e-commerce, etc, is going to set up a similar system via ping, which is working well at another site.  But I had considered Routerstats.

r