cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infinity routers

mmg

Has anyone set up a non BT router to their BT Infinity modem - if so what would I need to do ?

Thanks for the help

Kind regards

Doc B

3 REPLIES 3

MiloBT
Power User

Hi

Yes, I've done this myself, this morning in fact 😄

Last week I bought a Linksys/Cisco E3000 router in anticipation of BT Fibre/Infinity being installed, since the hub BT provides is pretty inadequate (100Mb ethernet, 802.11g wireless).

You should be able to use any 'cable' type router (ones that are usually used for Virgin etc.).

All that needs to be done is to plug the ethernet cable from the Openreach modem into the WAN port of your new router, then set up the connection on your router as PPPoE...the username is your BT DSL username (Bxxxxxx@hgxx.btclick.com for example, where the 'x' are numbers) and also your password. It will give CHAP authentication errors if either of these is wrong.

For me these were the same values I had for my ADSL connection so it was a quick and simple switchover.

So now I have a 37Mb/s connection with a gigabit & dual-band (2.4Ghz & 5Ghz) wireless router which I'm happy with. 😄

Hope that helps, I'll post it as a seperate thread for anyone else who may be looking for this.

[EDIT] One other note, although I'm not sure it's necessary, but I've set the router's LAN IP address to 192.168.1.254 (which is what the default value is for the BT supplied router). I'll play around with it to see whether it makes a difference and update the post accordingly[/EDIT]

Milo

MiloBT
Power User

Looks like LAN IPs are irrelevant, mine is now set to 192.168.1.1 without any problems.

I can't remember where I'd read it, but someone couldn't get their BT Infinity working without their router set to that LAN IP ?!?

MHC
Guru

The LAN IP does not matter - I use the 172.16.xx.xx range for mine without problems.