cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My BT IP Address has been hacked - Advice/help needed

Leonardo

Dear BT and BT Customers,

My IP address was hacked 2 years ago, prior to a recent home home move. We were BT then, with a Hub4. We knew we had been hacked and our PC (in fact PC's) were being controlled elsewhere. We had a suspect but no precise proof. Although I still have zero days viruses which were installed on my old PC. The police were advised and visited us but eventually told us "we can't do anything unless a clear theft or fraud has occurred." So we soldiered on. Firstly, may I say that Virus software is useless against this type of attack. I'm pretty convinced the attackers were based in the USA. And, are a huge banking organisation with, ironically, an affiliation with the NSA, to fight cyber crime. In fact they even have a secret ethical hacking division. I can say no more here, because of legal reasons. But, the Police were made are of all the facts and any evidence I could produce. I am a Software Programmer and I tried hard to sort the issue but an old Windows XP PC and 3 other PC's in the household meant, they had control of multiple PC's. I did try cleaning up these PC's but I think we had been subjected to an attack on the root drive too, with a zero day virus which basically sent details of our IP to the attackers. And, we we moved house and I got a brand new Hub5, Type A router the PC's simply sent the new IP address back to the attackers. And the attacks continued. These weren't malacious attacks but they amounted to messages saying "We are watching you.  And, we can, whenever we like." We even received an e-mail saying this, sent to my son from my private e-mail ID. Which I did not send. All of you out there will never know how totally disconcerting and devastating this is - we are always being watched, when we are online. The same attackers even hacked our mobile phones. How? you may ask. Well if someone I knew worked for them and had my number, it's not impossible. So, why don't you change your no, you might say. Good idea, but... they simply look in the address book at all your contacts (which they record) and go to their mobiles to trace your new number. Easy! But, that is a different story. So, I am now preparing to bin all of our PC's (v.expensive) and get new ones. But, before I do this I need to be absolutely certain I have a new "untraceable" IP. So, I am about to contact BT and ask for a new IP to be organised. Question for all of you is. I am not a business customer so can I do this easily? What other advide do you have. As I am not a Networks expert. Though I have been trying to teach myself WireShark, but it's not easy to just beceome an expert in a few days.  

Oh, and if you're interested the software the large corporate Banking company are using to do this is called CheckPoint. They have this software, as I have a contact at the company who told me he visited Israel to review it for them, 7 years ago. I am not blaming CheckPoint here at all. They simply make state of the art software which others can use or even abuse. I understand that the attackers who are monitoring me, use this software to monitor their staff at work as the possibility of fraud, albeit so small, terrifies them. Who'd have thought eh? Our USA cousins acting like something out of a book by Edward Snowden. It's absurd, is it not?

Thank you for any help of advice you can give me.

Leonardo

6 REPLIES 6

john46

If you are not a BT Business customer you will not have a fixed IP address  as BT Residential users have dynamic IP addresses 

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

First let me say that what you are going through must be a nightmare.  Everyone needs to be online these days and you simply cannot cut yourself off from the rest of the world so you've soldiered on, albeit with an element of caution.

There's a lot going on so I'll deal with each of your concerns as best I can, some of it you may have heard before, tried before, and it's not helped but there's a lot of info condensed in your post so apologies if what I'm about to say has been covered already.

Personally I have never worried about someone hacking my PC but I can appreciate why people do.  The question I ask myself is what could anyone gain from hacking me.  There's a couple of things, banking and bank details being the main one.  I subscribe to an online bank that supports Rapport, most do these days but nothing can ever be truly unhackable for the gifted.

Rapport has a high level of encryption and you'd be hard pressed to find someone with the skills to hack it and have spare time and interest to focus on anyone on a personal level.  These guys have better things to do.  And I don't have much money anyway.  Even if they did hack my account then the bank would likely give me the cash back and start their own investigation.

The other way to get bank details is through advertisements, ransomware and scareware scams.  By redirecting your browser pages and randomly flashing popups telling you that there's a problem and to buy their software or pay them money to clear the PC is all part of a scam.

Have a look at Autoruns, Security Task Manager and Process Explorer.  Personally I prefer these tools as it gives me a more hands on view of my system.  It's better than watching a scanner status bar increase without really knowing what it's doing.

The other reason could be to garner personal information to be used against me in some way.

Someone who really wants to get your details and info will try and hide as best they can, they will not give any inclination they are even on your system and try and bypass any security software silently.

So for me I can't logically see why someone would want to gain bank or personal info but then popup a message telling you they are there and watching.

I can't think of any other reasons.  I have nothing on the PC that is worth stealing and if they can be bothered looking at my web history then I have nothing to hide.  I use email and I wouldn't like anyone in there but again, it's nothing that can be used against me and I like to keep it that way.  You could keep your outlook PST file on an external drive and only plug it in when you download mail.  If you really want to be safe only read it when the computer connection is offline.

So without sounding too personal, if you have something to hide then I wouldn't be hiding it on the PC.  And if you have any personal info you need to work on, do it offline and keep it on an external encrypted drive.  Windows has bitlocker encryption which is easy to use.  If this isn't enough then there are plenty others available to choose from.  No one can hack a computer that isn't online.

Virus software is not 100% no matter how it's sold to you.  But, using software and best practice you can quite easily keep your PC clean.  In my opinion best practice being the most important of the two; I use firefox with the adblock addon and a real time virus program.  I've had 1 virus in 10 years.  And that was because I downloaded a piece of software without considering the source.

For someone to gain access to the PC they need to be able to get a piece of software on the PC and they do that through the web or phishing emails, just be careful what you open and click on.

Zero-day is a classification virus companies label a virus that has found a security hole in the av software or OS and has not been detected and named.  However, a good virus checker will use real time heuristics to monitor the system and block anything that is acting 'virus like', whether it has a definition or not.  Again not 100% but still can be very effective.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/security-news-trends/security-trends/zeroday-threats.aspx

A rootkit will install itself outside the OS, normally as an actual device and be able to interact with the OS at admin level.  Often undetectable by normal software but they do make themselves known eventually, normally used for ransomware or scareware.  Again, what info can someone really glean from your PC silently?  If you have an answer then consider protecting said info in a different way.  Nothing can interact with Rapport without it knowing so your bank transactions are safe from rootkits.

A rootkit does have limitations and is never completely invisible, it still needs to interact with the OS so it will always have an active service, which is it's gateway into the OS an ultimately it's downfall.  There are many rootkit detectors available so if it was me I'd try them all.  This is a very basic description but what I'm saying is that with the right software you can detect and remove rootkits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

The email to your son is not difficult to do.  Mail providers employ security to stop people being able to send as someone else (spoofing).  They call it 'closed relay'.  About 10 years ago you could use pretty much any mail server and send as whoever you wanted but now it's not possible with established providers.  However anyone setting up their own mail server and forget to close the relay can have their servers used to send unsolicited email.

There are also groups who scan IP ranges and provide details of open relay servers to whoever want to take advantage of them.  So it's not really that difficult to find a server to use.

I used to work for BT's abuse department and was given lists of email header information that customers sent in if they had been port scanned, received spam, phishing or malicious email.  I'd search BT's Radius for the IP in the header info and, based on time and date, would uncover the user.  A letter would be sent to them outlining the steps they should take to protect their server or PC and advise them what would happen if they didn't.

If the IP belonged to another ISP then I would send the info to their abuse dept and they would contact their own user and do the same thing.  ISP's don't like people abusing their network like this and can often take a hard line approach.  So send the header info to abuse@bt.com and keep sending them if you get more.

This site might help http://btplc.com/Inclusion/ProductsAndServices/Scams/index.htm

To access the PC through networking the routers firewall would have to be bypassed, as well as the software firewall on your PC.  There are backdoor programs that can be installed to do this but again, it has to get on your PC somehow, either through phishing emails or the web browser.  Software cannot be forced onto your PC through a connection, it needs something that's already there and listening.

Wireshark can detect listening ports but the info that it produces can be overwhelming and unless you know exactly what to look for ultimately confusing and fruitless.  Try getting to grips with NETSTAT instead.

http://www.computerweekly.com/tip/How-to-use-a-netstat-command-in-Windows-to-watch-open-ports

As for mobile phones, they can be cloned or hacked (someone usually has to get their hands on it though) so my advice would be limit the personal info you keep on them and if you are really concerned use a landline for communication where possible.  I don't have one so I can't really give any advice.

As the previous poster mentioned, only Business customers can have a static IP, if you are a residential customer then your IP will likely change every time you connect and there is no way someone outside the network can know what your personal IP is unless there's something on your PC transmitting it.

The tools I described earlier will also help detect any unknown and potentially malicious software.

If you do decide to buy new computers go for Macs.  They are way more secure than PC's and could give you that piece of mind you need.

Hope this helps!

Leonardo

Thank you Spank; happy new year to you. Oh and sorry for my latent reply...too much work!

I went on a rolla-coaster ride with your erudite reply. I was up/down/up/down. Lots of good stuff in there and clearly you are smart as well as experienced. I just want to say that, the people doing this to us have a "lot" of resources and a shed load of money. Plus, as I tell my son when he asks: "Why you Dad, why now, why do they still bother?" I reply: "Because they can. They did it before so they can do it again" Now, I can't give out too many details on the suspect here, by suspect I really mean: "the perpetrator" but trust me, they can and do, do this. It is kind of normal operating procedure for them.

If I may just give you some background. After 9/11, everything changed. Risk became the #1 priority. And, intrusion and interception was part of the defence. And, not just with the security services. Trouble with intrusion and interception is that a large % of the intruded are innocent people. But, risk doesn't care about that. Risk is everywhere, in their eyes, so let's go everywhere. And if we abuse our position, nobody knows. So, who cares? I need not tell you about the NSA surveillance policies and what Snowden revealed. They even bugged Merkel for good measure. Were you shocked? So, we all know, "they can do it." Why, is an entirely different question. But, I can assure you I have had my e-mail hacked, via my PC, my phone hacked and my wife's phone and all our PC's here. To do this they had to know my IP address and at least "one" phone no. And, it was easy for them to get it. That bit I can't reveal, otherwise I could get sued and let us call them "they" would probably do it with gusto. When I said why do they do it? I omit to mention the power they wield. The power is actually proportional to the importance of the service "they" provide. After 9/11 "they" were also consulted by George W, on how to get "things" back online. "They" are huge and are in many ways all powerful. But, if I told you who "they" were you'd say: "never heard of them." Which is fine. Cos neither had I, up until 7-8 years ago. So, why target me? Because, they saw a possible risk. I can say no more, otherwise I might divulge too much. It's a bizarre thing knowing who has done this to you but not being able to prove it. But, whilst specifically how they broke in is not known to me, the break-in itself didn't surprise me. I knew about their ethical hacking division, which operates 24*7. They even have an alliance program with the NSA. I knew about them monitoring staff at work. They have bought software from Israel to do this. And, I mean monitoring as in - watching and controlling their staff's PC's. And, why do they monitor their staff? Risk.

Many reading this will suggest I'm crazy but I would ask you this: "can it happen?" "Are there tools out there to do this?" "Is it possible?" Ans: "yes". It does happen. As for me, I'm innocuous but I have a voice, knowledge which might be unpleasant to be disclosed and I'm a UK resident. So, maybe someone panicked and miscalculated. Who knows. But, they did break in and continued to, at will. I was even left calling cards. Even as I write this  I'm aware I could be being watched. The intrusion occurred via a "secure" CitriX connection, somewhat ironic using the word secure. But, software like Rapport wouldn't help; that is for MiTM atttacks. This was a network intrusion on a known IP. It wasn't random either, it was planned. Tell me this; I moved home, old PCs, but a new router. Later I detected they were back. So, they had infected my PC with a small function to send my new IP addr back to their network. Simples. 

One of my PC's is now isolated as you suggested, aka offline. It contains all our private stuff but when it was online it was compromised. Trust me. I could list all they things they did. And they were largely nuisance activities which weren't by any stretch fatal but which were effectively telling me, we can and we will. Here's one: my PC's user passwords were zapped, by a timer pgm. So, I'd pop away for a tea/coffee and return later. But, I couldn't log on to my PC. Password unknown I thought I was going crazy. Then I twigged what they had done. I had to re-boot the PC to get logged on. And, later the pgm ran again. This was a very clever zero day. In the end I had to take password protection off. They even installed viruses on a flash drive, after I left the PC on and went down the pub. I still have the flash drive here with viruses on. I've even complained to Norton as I said their software should have detected it. They denied responsibility for a flash drive intrusion. Which was kind of understandable. But, this drive has never been anywhere outside my four walls. I'm not for a moment disrespecting you Spank but I have to disgree with you. They can do this despite a firewall, under certain circumstances. I'd like to explain more but I don't wish to here. They did it to me and I had a strong setup - inc virus/firewall, etc. Some of these ethical hackers used to work for anti virus firms, big cyber intrusion companies, network solution architects...they are very very smart. And, best of all, they have the software to do this at their disposal. I mentioned the Network software they used before. It is stste of the art stuff.

Finally, I'm looking at mobile broadband, tethering, satellite broadband, or going to a new ISP. I will be able to break free but I wished to stay with BT. SOmeone even suggested I go to Virgin and get new PC's. But, I'd prefer to stay BT. A dedicated IP would be a solution but you say I can't have one. Doesn't the problem I have mean I can be considered a special case? This is as opposed to a "nutcase". But, I'm genuinely serious, as I wish to stay BT

By the way. My wife, she is a trained typist. Very, very quick. Not like me. But, she's retired now. One day we're in a Sally Army store. She sees an electronic typewriter for a tenner. Needs some attention. So, I manage to fix it, new ribbon cart, etc. It has a small memory, in Kilo, not Mega.  We buy it. It sounds great, as it the clackety-clackety noise it makes when typing - esp Carriage return. But, the best bit? We keep really private docs on it. No network, offline, so pretty secure. Ironic eh? Old tech is known tech. Look at vinyl. It's making a big comeback!    

Anyway, thanks for listening and believing my story Spank. It's a genuinely factual story and as we know, fact is often stranger than fiction. To anyone who is concerned, please don't be. This is NOT a cautionary tale. I'm not saying anyone out there should worry. It''ll probably never happen to most of you. But, one day it might happen to some of you. And, in Mathematics, some is > 1.

8¬|

Leonardo

Thank you John.

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

Interesting read Leonardo and thanks for taking the time to explain your situation.

Nothing like that has happened to me but that's not to say it never will.  With the free flow of information we're used to today we're closer and more connected to others than we ever have been, meaning we are making ourselves more available to others. 

I've deliberatelly not watched or read anything to do with Snowden, it'll probably just annnoy me, and to be honest it wouldn't help in my day to day so I'll remain blissfully ignorant for my own sanity.  I've only so many hours in the day so tend to focus on hobbys; music, programming, gaming.  Then bed, rinse and repeat.  All very simple, just the way I like it.  If I had a virus or popup I couldn't get rid of I'd probably set fire to my computer.

Anyway, thanks again, was an interesting discussion Smiley Happy

burhaneddin

@spank wrote:

Hi there,

Interesting read Leonardo and thanks for taking the time to explain your situation.

Nothing like that has happened to me but that's not to say it never will.  With the free flow of information we're used to today we're closer and more connected to others than we ever have been, meaning we are making ourselves more available to others. 

I've deliberatelly not watched or read anything to do with Snowden, it'll probably just annnoy me, and to be honest it wouldn't help in my day to day so I'll remain blissfully ignorant for my own sanity.  I've only so many hours in the day so tend to focus on hobbys; music, programming, gaming.  Then bed, rinse and repeat.  All very simple, just the way I like it.  If I had a virus or popup I couldn't get rid of I'd probably set fire to my computer.

Anyway, thanks again, was an interesting discussion Smiley Happy