BenTusting

My internet speed is really slow at night

[ Edited ]

Hi :wave:

this is my first post in this froum so, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.

All this week (after 6 o'clock) my interent speed has been really slow (rangs from 0 - 65 kb a sec) but my download speed in the day is 650KB. 

This can't be down to it being peak times as it's lost well over 95% of speed.

I have phoned up BT everyday about this issue and you are not very helpful at all, you just say there is no problem with the line so i am unable to help you.

I think it's a modem problem, what else cold be the problem?

I am plugged directly into the modem

Thanks Ben

Edit: I am on BT Business broadband aswell

Message Edited by BenTusting on 15-10-2009 08:52 PM
Guru
OldWolf

Re: My internet speed is really slow at night

Hi,

First question you would need to consider is whether you upload and download a lot of data.  If you do (90+ GB per month) then you may have triggered the Fair Use Policy.  This is where heavy users get throttled during the evening from about 5pm to midnight.

The technical helpdesk can tell you if you are on a restricted profile.

Next, are you on a large or heavily used exchange or area?  If so then it is quite possible that it is network congestion, espcially if it happens at about 6pm.  One thing to check would be if there are any large business sites near you that work late, as this could have an effect.

If it is network congestion then the THD is correct in that they can't do anything about that.

If neither of the above apply then you'll have to go back to the THD and push to have it investigated further.

Cheers.

Dave A

Guru
spank

Hi there,

Another thing to check is other users.  Are you the only one who uses the connection?  Maybe someone in the house gets a bit download crazy at night.  The Helpdesk also has a way to check your usage so you can call up and ask them to see how much is being downloaded if you think someone else is abusing it a bit.

I doubt its a hardware problem since its fine during the day.

Thanks

BenTusting

I have no way downloaded 90GB and we have no download limit.

The problem is i have only started having these problmes since monday, it has been fine for years.

Also thanks for answering and i hope you can hellp me sort out this problem.

Guru
spank

Hi there,

You also have no way of knowing unless you ask someone at the helpdesk.  90gb is not the limit, for option 1 and 2 customers it's about 10gb I think.  option 3 is *unlimited, the * meaning if lots of file sharing or unusual port activity may result in throttling, you would be informed of this however.

Without knowing for absolute definate that you are not being throttled and your usage is not higher than you expect there really is no point in doing anything else, these are valid reasons and need to be ruled out.

Thanks

sapamm

I have also experienced a sudden drop in speed. For the past couple of months I have had almost no connection (the router only connects briefly each day, barely enough to even check email) despite being on option 3 for two years with light use. The speed has been excellent until now (around 2.5Mbps).

So because I was not getting anything for my money I asked them to change my contract to option 1 with a new homehub and immediately my speed has gone down to about 100kbps (all day and night) for the past few days since changing the contract. My hub still reports 2.5Mbps

Is some kind of restriction being placed on my speed because I am now on option 1?

Guru
spank

Hi there,

Does sound like it, give the technical desk a call and they will be abale to say for sure.

Thanks