cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious problem with new fibre broadband connection

tupacshakaur

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone might be able to help out. I recently order fibre broadband with TalkTalk and connected it up yesterday (the go-live date). Currently speeds are almost identical to what they were before we got fibre, around 4.5-6.8 MBPs.I have been on the line with technical support and have done my own digging and the confusing results are as follows:- Plugged into the face plate of our master socket, the router is receiving at 7 MBPs, and a speed test on my laptop using the wireless connection is a shade below that, as explained above, something around 6.5 MBPs.

- When I plug the router into the test socket, suddenly the router is downloading at 25 MBPs, but my laptop speed tests still show a speed of about 6.5 MBPs.This suggests separate, but confusingly interlinked problems.1. Faulty internal wiring, because the router download speeds are more than 3x faster when connected to the test socket.

2. Faulty wireless, because even when plugged into the test socket and receiving proper fibre speeds, the wireless connection is barely 25% as fast.The confusing thing is that when I plug the router into the faceplate again, the speed on my laptop stays about the same, even though the router's reported speed drops from 25 to 7 MBPs. Surely if there is an internal wiring problem shaving that much speed off the router's potential maximum, the wireless connection should also drop when the router speed drops?Is it possible that there are two separate issues? That along with the wiring problem, the wireless is only semi-functional and is coincidentally capped at about 7 MBPs, which also happens to be just below the lower speed of the router (when plugged into the faceplate).

It just seems unlikely that the wireless would be faulty on a brand new router, and only slightly faulty, so that it works fine, but with steadily lower speeds...I have looked at the master socket and there is no bellwire attached. There are two blue/white connectors at both 2 and 5.Can anyone help?

Please help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php/34302-Mysterious-problem-with-new-fibre-broadband-co...

Digital production agency

Thanks

0 REPLIES 0