cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network routing BTHub5

linuxbreaker

Hi

We have recently upgraded to business broadband and we are now using a buisness BTHub5.

In our previous setup we had a netgear router with a local 192.x.x.x address, and an external static IP.

(I have written x.x.x.x as I dont think its good security to be listing my network details for everyone ;-))

We also had a second router (running bsd packet filter) which allowed our internal 10.x.x.x network to access the internet through our old netgear router. No problem.

We have recently upgraded to the BTHub5 and now I am having real problems routing.

If I set my second router (running bsd packet filter) to allow all traffic so that i know its not filtering anything, I cannot access the internet.

I can pass traffic through from a computer on the 10.x.x.x network, i.e. I can access a 192.x.x.x node that I plug into the BTHub5 using remote desktop (mstsc.exe) from a 10.x.x.x. node

I can view the BTHub5 config page also from a 10.x.x.x. node

But i cannot access the internet.

To a none expert like myself it looks like the routing is failing on the BTHub5, and with the knowledge that it worked with the netgear i used to have (that i cant seem to get to work with the upgraded package we now have)

The only entry i have put in the static route page of the BTHub5 config is

subnet   mask          gateway   interface

10.x.x.x  255.x.x.0   192.x.x.x     br0

The gateway currently being the external NIC of my bsd router

I am really hoping to get some clarity on how to get my network back working again

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

linuxbreaker

I thought I'd post my solution in case anyone is having the same issue.

Well its more of a work around really and it costs money!

I bought a new router N600 VDSL2 by TP Link.

I added a static route.

It worked straight away.

The bTHub5, as far as i can see, is limiting in regards to static routes; particularly in the way I have outlined in my initial post.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CentralConveyor

Hi Linuxbreaker,

Presumably you have set up a route on your 10.xxx router so that it knows what port the 192.168 network is on.

However, have you also set the BTHub5 as being the default gateway on your 10.xxx router ?

linuxbreaker

The default gw on the 10.x router is  the BT5Hub

There are entries in the routing table for the 10.x NIC and the 192.x. NIC side

I presume the routing table is good on the 10.x. router as I can route out ok and even use remote desktop through it

It appears to be the BT5Hubs routing that is letting me down.

But i am only guessing using the idea that is was working with the old netgear router.

Thanks

Burkem5
Guru

Hi @linuxbreaker 

First off,  i dont have any extensive training on networks,  i just want to make that clear.

However, it sounds like the node is on an A range with a subnet of 255.0.0.0 meaning that your local network would start at

10.0.0.0 and end at 10.255.255.255 (or in CIDR format 10.0.0.0/8)

and the 192 network on the hub being a C range with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 so your 192 network would start at 192.a.b.0 and end at 192.a.b.255 (CIDR format 192.a.b.0/24)

What happens if you take the DHCP from the BT Hub and set the hub IP to a reserved address in the 10 network ?

Hope this helps

Burkem5

linuxbreaker

Thanks for response

Only problem I forsee with that solution is that then the bthub5 would be on the same range which almost starts to nullify the idea of a second router. I need to be able to get my bthub5 to route between the 2 networks.

A previous router had no problems with this but the bthub5 seems to be limiting in its static route configurability.

I will at some point try to find a fibre enabled router that is more usable

linuxbreaker

I thought I'd post my solution in case anyone is having the same issue.

Well its more of a work around really and it costs money!

I bought a new router N600 VDSL2 by TP Link.

I added a static route.

It worked straight away.

The bTHub5, as far as i can see, is limiting in regards to static routes; particularly in the way I have outlined in my initial post.

Max1234567890

Max1234567890
Thank your