cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Business Hub & Prob with iMail on MacBook Air

MILNE

Hi anyone else got a problem witht the new business hub and sending email using iMail on a MacBook Air running on Mac OS X 10.7 ??

We have 3 Mac's, two operating using Outlook that work fine and one using iMail which since the instillation of our new business hub does no longer send email.

The odd thing is that I can receive email and browse the internet.

Nothing wrong with my SMTP settings as the same laptop works fine when at home using a BT Home router and at another address using a Virgin Media router.

All avenues with Apple Genius' and Namesco our server provider explored.  As emails work for this account on an iPhone, can still send and receive via web mail and as previously stated at other locations using wirelesss connection, I can only think it is a local environmental issue based on the new BT router. 

Just odd that the other two PC's using Outlook instead of iMail work fine?

Any ideas people?

12 REPLIES 12

knobbster
Super User

I believe there was a change specially on the outgoing server setting. Can you please post you outoging server used as well as the port? I believe it should be 587 now.

MILNE

It was on port 25.

Just tried port 587 - same problem.

MILNE

outgoing server is smtp.hosts.co.uk (Namesco look after our in & outbound server and these settings are corret) already tried on advise of BT Help Desk to change to smtp.btconnect.com and it did not work as I expected.

helpinghands
Power User

Do you have your own domain name or are you using a btconnect email address?

If you are using your own domain name you would need to get mail relay setup with BT to be abe to send via their servers.

trottsaki

Hi

I have the exact problem after seting up my new Hub3 today and my Namesco SMTP doesnt now work.

Have you resolved this frustrating issue?

I might add that my iPhone with using the same setting doesnt have this problem, only my MacBook Pro.

Regards

Leo

MILNE

Domain name.  It is all the same settings & equipment I had before.  The old BT router worked fine.  This one just doesn't like Apple software I guess! 

Me thinks it is a bit of a design fault though on the part of BT!!!!  

Crazy. I continue to pull out my hair whilst BT claim their router is fine & its not their issue. 

I fear my only option is to move companies, we must only be a tiny contract but we still have 3 phone lines and the internet with them so you would think they would want to keep our business.

Shame.

MILNE

No still not working I am afraid.

Its shocking.

The photogrpher we use at work came on site yesterday, he has a MacBook Pro and also uses iMail and he could not send or receive emails.

I guess I should be grateful therefore that at least I can receive them on my MacBook Air!  Yes our iPhones all work as well and interestingly the MacBook's that use Outlook rather than iMail are also fine. 

BT claim therefore that their router is fine as it is working and it is therefore an IT related issue and wanted to charge me for someone their end to look at it.  This is after I have already assertained through Namesco (my server providor) and through countless Apple Genius' that there is nothing wrong and their router obviously is blocking iMail for some reason.

Fairly fundamental teething problem eh!  Dont know what I am going to do, obviously though it is business prohibitive to carry on as I am.

Nightmare.

Shape

BT Have confirmed that the HUB 3 does not work properly with the Apple Mail client and Hotmail.

It allows you to receive mail but not send it.

The only solutions they advise are to change email system or dump the HUB 3

deasmi

Sounds like a reverse path Path MTU Discovery problem to me.

Try setting the MTU on your Mac to 1492, or even 1400 for testing.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2532?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The BT Hub is pretty useless and shouldn't really be supplied in it's current state as it seems to block Path MTU Discovery (PMTUD). As the PPPOE link they insist on using has an MTU of 1492 this is a big issue.

If this does fix things then I would get think about an alternate router or change the MTU on all devices on the LAN to 1492.